· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default co2 injector question.

0 Not allowed!
    So I just got a co2 injection kit and haven't set it up yet. It's for my 55. I've got anubias, amazon swords and compacts. Any tips? Bubble count??
    55g planted. black skirt tetras. Neon tetras. Emerald Cory cat. Glow light tetras. 1kribensis cichlid, b. Rainbow fish. Rhino pleco. Pearl gourami. Dwarf platys

29g planted. 1firemouth cichlid. Gold barbs. Scissortail rasboras.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How are you getting the CO2 in the tank? In-line atomizer? Reactor? Or ceramic diffuser?

Either way you will need a drop checker to measure the CO2 levels.

Remember the drop checker tells you what was previously happening in your tank, normally 2 hours ago.

Start your CO2 2 hours before lights ON and make sure the drop checker is lime green to slightly yellow when the lights start. Then turn your CO2 OFF 2 hours before lights OFF.

Ensure you have some surface agitation to help out gas the CO2 when lights are out.

ALWAYS ensure the fish are ok. CO2 should be high but ensure the fish are not breathing heavy or at the surface.

Follow the above and don't worry about number of bubbles per second etc. make small changes each day to ensure drop checker is correct colour at lights ON. Finally, move drop checker around tank to ensure you are getting the right amount of CO2 evenly. If not, then you will need to increase flow around the tank.

Should be enough to get you started :-)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +11111111 to this ^. This is great advice.

Too often everyone fixates on how many bubbles per sec and they pay no attention to the mechanics of what is happening the rest of the time. Your CO2 saturation will be completely different depending on lots of factors even if you have the same bub/sec. Tank size, surface agitation, plant count, plant type, light type, light timing, even temp in the room. There are so many factors its crazy. Granted the amount these all change things is small, but when you add them all together you can have two different tanks that operate completely different from each other.

Like a good liquid test kit, a drop checker is the only way to really monitor what is going on. If you can watch that then you can adjust everything else however you need to for your specific system.

Did your CO2 kid come with a cartridge system? Or are you mixing up your own recipe for the reactor? Just FYI, I tried the whole DIY route for a long time before finally caving and buying a good regulator so I could use proper pressurized CO2 and the difference is an entirely new level. The DIY stuff is kind of fun as an in home science experiment, but if you aren't careful you can hurt your fish, and it really wont give you the kind of growth benefit most people are looking for.

With the quality equipment and pressurized co2 it is soooo much easier to get things working right. With DIY there are problems of proper pressure, stable bubble count, is your recipe off a little, are your ingredients old, is the temp screwing with things. Its just a pain in the but. That's why its fun for a "look what I made" kind of thing, but if you want results you get what you pay for.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org