· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Betta Help, Filter, Bloating, etc

0 Not allowed!
    I've had my betta for about two weeks now, and he's currently showing signs of bloat. Poor little guy just floats on his side at the top of his tank. I've done a water change and I haven't feed him in the past two days, but he's still floating on his side.

I read somewhere that I should now feed him a pea, but another site said it was a bad idea because they can't digest peas well.

Also, I wanted to add a filter to his tank in hopes that it will help with the problem. What's the best way to add one to his established tank (which doesn't have one at the moment)?

Any help would be much appreciated! I just want to see my little guy swimming normal again ):

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do another massive water change, first. Your tank is not "established" if it doesn't have a filter....there is no cycle. Get a filter and just pop it right on the tank, the sooner the better.

Feed him a pea, it's the best way to clear constipation. De-shell it and chop it up small for him.

If that doesn't work, there are a couple other options, but I suspect his issue is mostly due to poor water quality. Keep doing water changes every day, and make sure the water is the same temp as the tank (hopefully around 80 degrees F).
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Pea's may help but keep in mind that bloat is not constipation. Once you have bloat, it's generally the end of their lifespan. Probably kidney failure or something that can not be fixed with a pea?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good point, Hobbs.

Is the betta pine-coning? His scales sticking out?
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bad terminology on my part. He's not pineconing. I don't think he has bloat; I think he has a swollen swim bladder.

Thanks for the tips Azure. I'm going to go get him a heater as well, after doing a little more research.

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure he has a heater, and make sure you get a thermometer. You want his space to be around 82 degrees constant. Betta like gentle filtration, depending on the size of the tank, a simple sponge filter that is air pump driven might be sufficient. You will also want to test the water, get an API master test kit, to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as well as PH.

Keep the water super clean, even if it means changing out water daily. You can also add a pinch of aquarium salt to the water, which may help. Make sure not to overfeed, which is one of the largest causes of Betta illness. If you are feeding Betta pellets, 4-6 pellets a day is ideal. If you have been feeding more than that, you can try fasting him for a day, and then feed him the shelled pea. After that return him to a reduced diet.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got him a heater, filter, special water conditioner for bettas and a moss ball, but sadly, I guess he was so desperate to stop floating that he wedged himself under the moss ball and drowned while I was sleeping.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Uh, he didn't drown. He's a fish, lol.

He likely just died from poor conditions. I am glad you got a heater and filter though, in case you plan on getting another fish. Remember to change out his water often until his filter grows good bacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    May I suggest that you read about cycling a tank BEFORE you get another fish? This way, you can maintain good water conditions from the beginning.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies