· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Bolsen27 and Tobinkinz 55 gallon journal

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,

So we found this forum a little over a month ago, while frantically searching for information on keeping fish. A little background - hubby (bolsen27) hasn't ever had fish, but I (tobinkinz) actually dabbled a bit in breeding guppies while in college, oh, about 10+ years ago. By dabbled, I mean that I couldn't have any furry pets in the dorm room but we were allowed fish, so I kept a 10 gallon with some male and female guppies and got excited when I saw fry swimming about. My mom had a 20 gallon tank for several years, but I didn't remember that much about it.

Our first attempt was what brought us to this forum, in an effort to learn more about the hobby. We have a 20 gal tall that is now finally cycled no thanks to us doing everything completely backwards. Fortunately only lost 2 false julii corys, and I wonder if they weren't the best stock to start with.

I have really enjoyed reading through the tank journals, especially brhino and MCHRKiller. I have no doubt that this journal will pale in comparison, but I have good standards to live up to!

TBC.....

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for multiple posts but I think I'm overloading somehow, or I just don't know what I'm doing!

So hubby found a 40gal long with stand on craigslist, and we jumped on it. Slowly getting things together, plan on doing this one right with a fishless cycle.

Our preliminary plan is for a planted tank with a few different elements - "forest" of corkscrew vals and possibly some cabomba, driftwood with java fern, and a cave system with possible some anubias under floating plants, probably watersprite.

Stocking plans:
    1 bristlenose pleco
    4 rams - German blue versus Bolivian?
    1 pearl gourami
    10 panda corys
    20 cardinal tetras
    5 silver hatchetfish

Hubby is anticipating getting yelled at for stocking. :) A lot of thought went into this list, and levels they swim at, compatibility and such. AQAdvisor shows no major issues, such as it is. Of course we will monitor water quality carefully.

Tech specifics - 2 AC70 hob filters, 2 100w Eheim jager heaters, aquariumplants.com substrate (still need to get). Plan on getting 48" Nova Extreme SLR T5 HO light fixture, 108w, bulbs still up for discussion at this point.

Pics (hopefully) next! Not too exciting yet, but preliminary anyway. :)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, having trouble figuring out how to post pics, so I'll work on that and hopefully get them up later.

tobinkinz

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the tank and stand:

Haha hopefully this will work now!

Obligatory full tank shot - is it still considered this even tho it's empty? ;)

Close up of our preliminary arrangement of cichlid stones:

All the "stuff" we have so far:

Sigh. Now to wait for some more money to get substrate, next on the list! Hope I get to update this soon, thoughts and comments are appreciated. :)

tobinkinz/bolsen27

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, substrate and lights are ordered!!! Should be here sometime this next week, hopefully. Decided to go ahead and set the tank up and start cycling, figured we can add the substrate when it gets here without too much trouble. Setting up involved several hours of moving furniture around and cussing and discussing where in the world are we gonna put this tank. Not that it's a huge tank, more that our house isn't that big.

So, pics! Here is the tank and stand with modifications:

Equipment in and bench back in place:

Filling with our DIY water changer!

All filled and running:

more next post...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tried to get a close up of the bubble wall in the back, but too many bubbles in general and no tank lights yet:

I know, empty tank pics aren't all that exciting, but it's what we've got for now. Can't wait for the substrate to arrive so we can do some 'scaping, especially since I found a really cool piece of driftwood at the LFS today!

tobinkinz/bolsen27

0 Not allowed!
    I actually had to cycle my 90 gallon tank without substrate while I waited for my LFS to order in the substrate that I had wanted.

I'm looking forward to seeing more up-dates on your tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above you guys seem like you will turn out a pretty awesome tank:)
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies! Gonna be a bit boring for a while now as we wait for the tank to cycle. Will put up a few more pics once we get substrate and lights.

Tobinkinz