· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help troubleshooting plant issues-no growth!

0 Not allowed!
    My planted tank seems to be "stalling" on the growth.
    Here is my setup:

96Watts of lights (4 x 24w bulbs) (3 bulbs at 6500k/1 bulb at 10000k)
    daily dose of excel
    every water change I dose flourish plus mid week i'll dose again
    flourish root tabs
    lights are on a strict schedule of 8hrs a day (auto timer)
    40b, lights are 6inches above the tank to help the spreading of the light.
    substrate is normal pea sized gravel and about 2.5-3inches deep for ample root growth

and my plants just don't grow! (they have been acclimated and in the tank for over 2 months now)
    I have a mix of amazon swords, wisteria (which has shown growth of maybe an inch every other week), rosette sword, ozelote sword, java fern and an anubias.

Recently, I have been able to grow some green hair algae..so that means something is out of wack. but I cannot pin point it b/c my plants arent growing.
    you think if it was too much nutrients then the plants would still respond and grow with the algae, but that isn't the case.
    they simply have not grown. ugh.

0 Not allowed!
    T5s or T5HO? Your light is nearly 2' off the substrate. This, Combined with the spread not being optimal is definitely a factor IMO.

Pics would help if possible.

Plants growth [like all life] can be chalked up to genetics and environmental factors.

If something required for growth is limited in quantity IE: Light, Nutrients, Space what have you... Growth is then limited to the pace that the plant can maintain on the available amount of the 'something' that is limited.

I hope that is clear [And it is probably really obvious but I figured I would throw it out there.]

Right now I am leaning towards it being light that is limiting your growth, The algae is taking advantage of the excess nutrients floating around because they are not being taken up by the plants due to them not being able to grow fast enough to use them first <-- Possibly due to the lighting issue.

Is your Wisteria leggy? [Long distances between internodes - The spots where new leaves form] This would indicate lower light levels than it prefers.

You would think it would be enough light but lights energy diminishes rapidly as you get farther away. If you want to nerd out about that concept google 'light intensity & the Inverse square law'.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the bulbs are t5ho. in glo light fixtures that are 24inch long.

i will attach the pics to help clarify what i'm talking about. just got home from work to take them.

in looking up that relationship of light intensity, but from what I can tell and relate it back to aquatics is that my set up is high intensity light-which would suffice for my plants? idk tho...

here are the first round of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2nd set of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    24" light on a 36" tank. There's your problem. IMO it's the essentially the same issue you had with the 18" light up there.

I'd review my comments/lighting suggestions in this thread.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You caught me there 850R. you are a good researcher of prior posts! touche.

The lights seemed to be okay for the initial period after the plants acclimated and then this stalling issue has occurred.

I rose them to help with the light distribution but I guess even that won't do what is really needed. sigh.

I should just buck up and get that fixture. I was milking these for all they are worth since they were given to me free. but I guess I can sell these on craigslist or something.

but hey, maybe i'll make some money off these glo fixtures. they do have good ratings with a high price tag.

so one or two of these:
    http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDe...2122P&CartID=1

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    You caught me there 850R. you are a good researcher of prior posts! touche.
    You had better believe it.

but hey, maybe i'll make some money off these glo fixtures. they do have good ratings with a high price tag. Go for it. I have two 48" Hagen Glo fixtures, I like 'em.

so one or two of these:
    http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDe...2122P&CartID=1
    Two seems like overkill to me, You are going to be just under 2wpg of T5HO on a fairly shallow tank. It's suitable lighting power IMO but I know you are really asking about the spread and this I am not sure about. The height, Or lack of it works against you here.

Having said that: For the price of that fixture, I'd get two. You may have to get them on two different timers to make it work... That's not so bad though & you could always go high tech later if you wish.

Naturally check out how much just one spreads out first.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-20-2012 at 01:20 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I have battled green spot algae since I went from compact lighting to T5HO several months ago. My lights are now on timers at only 6 hours a day. Never had green spot all these years of having planted tanks and now it's a weekly thing with this light. I read it's an imbalance of too much light without proper ferts to balance so I add ferts about 3x a week now. Seems a bit better but I'm not a happy camper yet. I use Excel only in "emergencies". I think it's dangerous stuff.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, the spreading is an issue currently as you have caught.

the front to back spreading right now is sufficient with the dual fixtures.

however, they are shorter than the the tank, so the left to right spreading is an issue. there is a noticeable gradient.

the 40b's are a challenge b/c of their depth. so i fear one fixture wouldn't provide the needed spreading front to back, but 2 fixtures is a TON of light.

stupid predicament....

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just saw your post hobbs:

Yea, I agree the imbalance is somewhere and 850R has a strong case for the lights.

I could increase the liquid fert dosing, but that would mean I would have to have enough light for the plants to take in that extra amount. and it seems that I do not have sufficient light.