· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

Question Gold Nugget Pleco feeding question

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy AC'ers,

I give my GN Pleco a cut up piece of raw potato on about a weekly basis. I cut it into a 1" square about a 1/4" thick. Most of the time it's gone by the time I wake up, but once in a while I notice it goes untouched. I like the potato b/c it sinks to the substrate right away, and I put it in at night with the tank lights out. The few times that my pleco decided he's not into the potato it eventually floats up to the surface and my Angels start picking at it.

First, I'm wondering if the potato is ok for the Angels? I have scooped it out in the past not being totally sure if it's something they should be eating.

Secondly, what other foods does everyone's pleco's seem to enjoy most? Mine loves the Mopani driftwood in my tank, and the sinking Algae wafers, I know not all pleco's are vegetarians and want mine to be eating the complete diet that he needs to thrive. I'm basically looking for advice on other things you've all had success with in the past. All comments are welcome, especially from anyone who has this particular species of pleco.

Thanks in advance, Chris...
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    sweet potato (or yams) are liked by plecos better IME. zucchini, cukes, watermelon, squash, pumpkin were also favs of my GN.
    Thar she blows!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They seem to attack most veggies once they work out its food, persevere with something for a week or so before deciding yes or no, but not leaving it in longer than 24 hours.

0 Not allowed!
    I also like to add a few algae disks to the veggies that I add to the tank for my plecos. Zucchini, cukes, and watermelon are big favorites but they will eat almost any veggies I put in there

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    Great thanks everyone!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding is that GN plecos are partly carnivorous. About once every week or two I give him some small table shrimp - rubber banded to a rock so that they stay all together and sink to the bottom. Over all the veggies I offer him, he will go for the shrimp every time - it's his favorite. My BN pleco likes it too, but not as much as the GN.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ok great thanks for the tip... One question what is table shrimp?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just those little bitty shrimp at the grocery store that people use in salads and dips and stuff. You can usually get a handful or a little tray of them for like $1-2, then freeze them and defrost as needed. They don't care about a little freezer burn. :)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    K Gotcha! thanx