· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: pH problems

1. Default pH problems

0 Not allowed!
    I want my pH between 6.5 and 7, but my water is 7.8. I don't want to mess with the pH and wreck my tank. Well, I guess I will have too, but what is the easiest way that doesn't make the pH go too high or too low; I want one with say, a bottle that says "7.5 ph. Put this much in to get a reading of 7.5" But I want 6.5 to 7.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    First, why do you feel you have to change the PH?
    Fish are very adaptable to PH, in very few instances is it beneficial or necessary to change it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feel I need to change it because I am going to have softwater fish. I think they are at least. But now that you say that I don't need to change the pH, that changes everything. Fish: Harlequin rasboras, Banded gourami, bronze cories.

0 Not allowed!
    As gm72 said, fish are very adaptable. Most fish we get now are farm raised in big cement tanks. They then go to distributors and then to stores and then to our homes and each have a different pH.

If you had a low pH, Proper PH 7 would probably work for you. But having it higher than you want is a losing situation. You can lower it but it will pop right back up in a few hours and this jumping back and forth is what kills fish. They are much better off with a steady pH no matter what it is.

Driftwood helps lower it for a time but eventually even that doesn't do much. Running peat pellets thru the filter will lower it but you will have tannins and it may lower the pH more than you want. If your tank is planted, CO2 will also lower it.

Aerating the water raises it.

It's best to just leave it alone and let your fish adapt to what you offer them. If some fish can not tolerate that pH, then stick with those that can. All my fish have been in 7.6 for over a year and all do fine.

pH should never be adjusted more than .4 in any 24 hours. You would have pH jumping all over the place with every water change.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-30-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Fish that you purchase locally are already adjusted to local water conditions.
    Changing PH can create a lot of problems , the least of which is that you would have to have a holding tank to store your PH adjusted water for WC.

Unless you are housing wild caught fish or attempting to breed some of the more sensitive species you're better off not messing with PH.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I'm glad I don't have to go and get pH adjusters!

0 Not allowed!
    A very good decision. I have a variety of fish and none have complained about my pH yet. Angels, neons, rasbora, gourami, platies, silver dollars, sharks, etc. About the only fish I know of that need pH adjusted (raised) is some of the cichlids but not all.

0 Not allowed!
    If you feel that you NEED to lower your pH, you can do so via water changes and the addition of RO water to the pH 7.8 you currently have. There are a few species such as Crystal Red Shrimp that do not do well in higher pH's. However if you are strictly keeping fish, as it has already been said above, fish are quite adaptable. Discus can be kept in a variety of pHs howver they will only breed successfully in lower pH. Research the fauna you are planning to keep and make an informed decsion from there.
    Vice President
    Colorado Aquarium Society
    http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/