· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 or 2 Heater

Default 1 or 2 Heater

0 Not allowed!
    So, when I originally I got the tank (55gal L) I purchased a Fluval M300. It is located in the middle.

It is working fairly well, however I was wondering since I saw the saw one on ebay for $16 if I should have a 2nd in the tank (1 on each end)

0 Not allowed!
    I can't see where it would hurt - that way if one breaks, you have another one for back up and neither one has to work very hard to maintain the right temp.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I just don't want to necessarily waste electricity, and also don't want boiled fish lol. I think it's one of those if I get a little spare $$ I'll pick one up

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, wouldn't hurt to have another especially if you can get it that cheap. If one should fail you have another still able to keep water temp up.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I just don't want to necessarily waste electricity
    IMO think the electricity used would be about the same. Neither heater would need to be running as long as it would be if it was by itself.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - like if you had a heater that was insufficient for the tank size, it would be on all the time - 2 heaters means, neither heater has to be on a lot once the water reaches the desired temp
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I just don't want to necessarily waste electricity, and also don't want boiled fish lol. I think it's one of those if I get a little spare $$ I'll pick one up
    +1 To ijankrom & andrea.

Neither of these will happen with a properly functioning heater. One or both heaters [Makes no difference] will only be running/using the amount of energy it takes to maintain the tanks temp.
    It takes the same amount of energy to heat the tank no matter how many heaters there are. Splitting the load between two heaters simply means neither is working as hard or as often. In theory they should last longer this way [All else being equal] and it's good to have a back up in place to carry the load if one should die.

At that price I would snag it, Even if you are just going to throw it in a closet as a spare.

EDIT: I am getting ninja'd left and right today! - Left in the dust
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    For me in a larger tank I would rather have 2 heaters. I had a heater screw up and cook the fish in less than 6 hours before, to avoid that happening again or at least limiting the chances of it, I use 2 smaller heaters now. That way if a heater does get stuck 'on' it'll take longer and hopefully get noticed.

0 Not allowed!
    yea, I'm watching the bid, worse case I don't get it, there is a few at that price. Need to make sure I have the budget cleared first lol. Plus I want my corys and otos first

0 Not allowed!
    I have 55 gallon tanks with one heater on the end of it but I run either 250 or 300 wattage. If the wattage is not high enough, the heater will not do you any good even if you have 6 of them in a tank. Make sure it's at least a 250 watt. Always good to have a back up around, too.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-20-2012 at 01:08 AM.