· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Maintenance on AquaClear 70

0 Not allowed!
    The title pretty much sums it up. Do I need to add/replace any materials to this filter to keep it running my tank healthily? I've noticed on the inside of my intake tube there is a brownish substance (algae?) building up a good bit. I also have a Penguin 200 bio wheel on my 40g and understand that I need to rinse the pad in tank water during water changes.

Just asking because I plan on getting a really messy fish soon, the hairy puffer.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not really. Don't worry about the algae growth unless it starts to impede the flow. If it does rinse it off in old tank water just like everything else. If you are running any carbon carts in that filter they can eventually go bad after a long time and crash your PH, but it takes a good long while. If you are what would be better is to replace the carbon with some bio sponge or beads as they provide more room for BB. You never have to replace them either, just rinse em out same as everything. If you have a pre-filter on the intake you can swap it out every now and then if you want, but I rinse those too. Clean your impeller off every time you do a water change as well to keep it spinning efficiently. Those ACs are so great because they require very little in the way of maintenance and they are very simple to work on. If you get too much gunk in the unit after adding your dirty fish try adding a pre-filter or some filter floss in the intake tube.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephalem
    You never have to replace them either, just rinse em out same as everything. If you have a pre-filter on the intake you can swap it out every now and then if you want, but I rinse those too.
    I would recommend only cleaning half of the media in the filter unit, then after a month or so clean the other half. This will allow BB to grow on the rinsed media as you will likely loose some when you rinse it out.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 7 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    aye good point ^

when you rinse something out you WILL loose some BB. There is no way to avoid that. The trick is to be very gentle. I just lightly squeeze out my sponges under water. Remember that you are dealing with a living organism. If you run the sponge under crazy hot water while ringing it out like crazy they are prob going to die for the most part. Thats why we recommend tank water during WCs, because its the same temp, same PH, same hardness, its already conditioned, and assuming the colony is working right its clean but holding some of the BBs food. All of that gives you the best chance to keep all the little critters alive, but always check your params a day or so after a cleaning to make sure you aren't getting hit by a mini-spike.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

0 Not allowed!
    My routine is a bit different than the above for my AC filters.

I don't run the carbon, Instead I double the Biomax [The home of your BB colony] which as mentioned is rinsed in tank water gently as required.

The sponges I rinse out under hot water in the tub, It's really hard to get them clean otherwise. Yes this kills any BB on the sponges but it is a non-issue because as mentioned the BB live primarily on the Biomax, The sponges are your mechanical filtration and are a supplementary home to BB at best.

I give them a dunk in some dechlor water before I return them to the filter.

I know Hobbs does this too and possibly a few others, I have never had the slightest issue doing it this way.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Yes this kills any BB on the sponges but it is a non-issue because as mentioned the BB live primarily on the Biomax, The sponges are your mechanical filtration and are a supplementary home to BB at best.
    I thought sponges were a good alternative to biomax or bio balls. That they were pores enough to fair just as well. Plus a lot cheaper too. Please someone confirm as I like to use sponges in my future sump tank vs bio media.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijankrom
    Please someone confirm as I like to use sponges in my future sump tank vs bio media.
    Opps I meant to say vs biomax or bio balls.
    25 Gal - Tropical

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are AN alternative, but I dunno if i would say they are a GOOD alternative. As 850 said the biomax has much more room for the BB so if you can fit it you should. However that said I have many filters that only have sponge and they work just fine. Thats mostly in my small filters. Any filter bigger than say a 30g or so I try and cram some ceramic into, but out of my 20 or so tanks maybe 5-8 of them have either ceramic or lava rock? The rest are sponge.

So basically its a trade off:

Ceramic or rock is great at bio filtration, not so great at mechanical.
    Sponge is good at mechanical and pretty good at bio.
    Floss or cloth is great at mechanical and not so good at biological.

See what I mean? Think of it like stats. That is why sumps or large canisters are built with compartments or modular setups where you can change out sections easy, or designate each section to a type of filtration. that way you get the best of all worlds.

0 Not allowed!
    They are AN alternative, but I dunno if i would say they are a GOOD alternative.
    +1 Except I do know if I would say they are a good alternative... And I wouldn't. :-P.

I am not saying they are useless, But why change to something that isn't as effective at what you are trying to do? Although cheaper, They hold less BB, Are not as durable & are harder to clean as effectively as dedicated biomedia IMO/E.

In your AC filter the sponges are your Mech filtration & the bioax is your BIomedia as mentioned. By replacing my carbon with another bag of Biomax I literally double my BB capacity and this is why I have no dependency on the BB in the sponges and have no issues.

Sponges are one aspect of filtration and have their place, IE: I Sponge filters. But, When it comes to bio-filtration they are not my first choice at all in HOB filters or sumps.

IMO/E, In a sump/trickle wetdry filter I would use bioballs for biomedia.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Another word of warning about carbon: I had a few filters that I used the carbon that came with it to deal with some driftwood tannins (which it's really good at). I left the bags in for a while because what's the harm, right? Well, those bags they pack the carbon in actually rotted away and disintegrated. I had a filter full of loose carbon bits. Didn't really hurt anything but it was a pain to clear out. So don't leave aquaclear carbon bags in unless you need them for a specific reason.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails