· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    OK - so the 120 is already inhabited by larger fish and the fish currently in the 35 are juveniles and you are waiting until they are larger and can "hold their own" with larger fish? Plus, you want to know whether you can add more fish to the 35?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    OK - so the 120 is already inhabited by larger fish and the fish currently in the 35 are juveniles and you are waiting until they are larger and can "hold their own" with larger fish? Plus, you want to know whether you can add more fish to the 35?
    exactly, sorry for not putting it all in at the start, didnt want a lengthy post, i just want to no whether or not putting smaller fish in like neons would be safe or not.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I don't know how large the albino cichlid can get. Any cichlid that gets large enough to fit a neon into its mouth for a meal will do that - even if it's not large now. Besides, once the other fish get large enough (especially the pleco), your waste load will increase and your water quality might suffer (even tho neons don't produce a lot themselves) - just my opinion - others might disagree with me.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I don't know how large the albino cichlid can get. Any cichlid that gets large enough to fit a neon into its mouth for a meal will do that - even if it's not large now. Besides, once the other fish get large enough (especially the pleco), your waste load will increase and your water quality might suffer (even tho neons don't produce a lot themselves) - just my opinion - others might disagree with me.
    the cichlid is in his early stages maybe 2.5 x bigger than the cichlid fry i have so hes a small little bugger, and would water changes be a good idea along side with the canister filter i have if i do decide to get a 10+ school of small neons.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, you should be doing water changes regardless of how many fish you have in there - the filter only removes so much (and breaks down ammonia) - it's up to you to remove poop, excess food and clean the gravel - plus changing the water replaces things in the water that the fish use - but you know that already : )

Keep in mind that your cichlid will not stay small - as it grows, you could find your neons disappearing - that's why I"ve learned here to not keep an angelfish in my tank (even a baby) because I have neons - angelfish get bigger.
    5 gal QT

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea water changes are manditory :) and yes i do agree that i will have to take the little cichlid out eventually and move him to my 55 gallon cichlid tank, would the pleco and catfish leave the neons alone, i dont think they would eat them ?

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the bottom dwellers are in a different part of the tank anyway - neons stay in the middle of the tank. Quite honestly, I dont' know if any larger bottom dwellers would pursue a neon as a meal - I would think they have a diet different than fish.

Edit: why haven't you moved your albino cichlid to your 55gal?
    5 gal QT

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the bottom dwellers are in a different part of the tank anyway - neons stay in the middle of the tank. Quite honestly, I dont' know if any larger bottom dwellers would pursue a neon as a meal - I would think they have a diet different than fish.

Edit: why haven't you moved your albino cichlid to your 55gal?
    cause i have a couple medium sized africans that would love him as a snack :P

0 Not allowed!
    If it were my tank, I would not house community fish with a cichlid unless I knew it was a "mild mannered" cichlid. That's just my feeling.
    5 gal QT

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Andrea is spot on.

just leave this tank as a grow out tank and nothing more.

you already have a 55 and a 120 showcase tank.

also-your red tail catfish will outgrow your 120. they get to well over 2ft long and are predatory fish.