· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Food Suggestions for a Peacock/Hap Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I currently Use these . Looking to keep some variety in there diet, also i hear cooked shrimp and such is good for them as a treat ? What other cooked food is good for them for treats ? And what about blood worms.

110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have mbuna (no haps or peacocks). I feed the sinking hikari excel and spirulina flakes. They get ghost shrimp about once a month as a treat (they eat small crustaseans in the wild). No blood worms for my fish due to risk or malawi bloat. I do feed raw zuccini sometimes, they dont really care for it though.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea i know i had them previously and thats why im asking because i know peacocks and hap and more meat eaters then mbuna so im trying to see what acceptable instead of assuming and potentially harming my beautiful babies lol.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One thing I saw on another blog is that Hikari typically places pictures of the cichlids each food is supposed to feed. Excel features african fish and other foods like bio gold and staple show north and south african fish. I dont know how true it is but the different hikari foods have pretty different protein values.

I havent fully researched peacocks or haps but when I got my different mbuna I just looked at a few fish profiles on them (mine all say herbivore or omnivore), that might help you out.

Good luck with your new fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably feed them the Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets, or if those NLS pellets are higher in protien than the Hikari Excell and suitable for cichlids , then more of those. Supplement that diet with some spirulina flakes and the Hikari Excell. The spirulina, which is still very good for peacocks, is also great for making their blue colouring really pop out. So keep adding that to their diet, if you choose to feed them the Hikari Cichlid Gold. The Hikari Cichlid Gold has what they call carotanoids in it, which is great for keeping the colour of your fishes looking good, but it does seem to lack a bit of extra oomf when it comes to some blue fish. It's great for yellow coloured fish. Foods with krill in it will give extra help with redish coloured fish. Live foods, such as bloodworms should only be given as a treat - once a week or fortnight. Fresh veggies and fruit can be given to them, but they're not overly fussed about them a lot of the time. Softened shelled and squished up peas, softened zuchini, softened broccoli, apple, pear, kiwi fruit.
    Last edited by escamosa; 11-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea i have to buy some more spirulina flakes, for live food i know most of them should only be treats but which ones are a no-no? Bloodworms wont cause bloat right ? Im sure with a good variety of all mentioned and good water conditions i will get any color to pop just want a high quality variety avoiding malowi bloat.