· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

Default Why is my property YOUR property?

0 Not allowed!
    So...like...we have an acerage. There are many deer in the area. Too many deer. And they're not much of a challenge to hunt...they're quite tame (as far as deer go). In fact I have twin baby bucks who decided they like sleeping up again the house under my Russian Almonds. They gave my son a scare...he thought someone was trying to break into his bedroom through the basement window. Nope...it was just Bucky and Plucky...

While we target shoot. We do not hunt. While I don't mind the deer being culled...I don't want hunters on our property. I think it's dangerous to hunt in this area in general. This is acerage-ville. There are buildings, people, children, large dogs, small horses, etc., everywhere.

For some reason...city folks especially...seem to think they can drive a whole 20 minutes to this "wild" area and do as they like. They seem to forget that we don't put in the hard work, pay the taxes, and do all the extra stuff living out here requires - for THEIR pleasure.

So yesterday morning there's a knock on the door. A hunter shot a deer. It went on our property. He didn't get to it right away. When he did go to get it...he found someone else had gotten there first and chopped it's head off.

He came to see if it was us.

Hello? You shoot a deer...and don't check on it immediately and to add insult to injury - you don't bother to ask our permission to check on it. BUT...then you do come to see us because the head is missing?

So...now I have 2 hunters on our property without permission. One who's ticked because his deer is missing a head...and some head-chopping maniac!

And technically...if it's on my property...isn't it MY deer?

...not that I want it...and hubby didn't ask what happened to the carcass...I suppose he left it...so now isn't that littering on my property????

Signed...

Annoyed During Hunting Season
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Rue,
    How are they legally able to hunt in close proximity to residences or on your land without permission granted by you? You would be arrested in a second around here for that. lol
    Have you checked with the local authorities concerning this. I don't know Canadian laws but I would think that you have rights, especially when it's on your property. That's a serious safety issue for you and your family as well.

0 Not allowed!
    In Saskatchewan, it is illegal to hunt within 500 meters of a yard, and you can not hunt on land without the owners permission.

If you post your land with "no hunting" signs and people still hunt on your land, it now becomes the same charge as poaching (forgot the name of it) in stead of hunting on land without permission.

When you see hunters on your land, you could then call the Report Pouchers hotline, 1-800-667-7561 and the game wardens will investigate and/or catch and lay chargers

I have been a avid hunter from many years and stories like this reall get under my skin. It doesn't take a lot of effort to follow the rules. If you hunt with safety in mind, then you will know were the yards are and what lands are posted or not. If your not doing that as a hunter, you have more than earned the crimial charges you will face.

***Rant over***
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I asked a couple of hunters yesterday...at the volleyball tourney...and they didn't know either. And both of them have similar issues on their farms...with city folk coming out...

I will have to check.

I know you need your property posted. And frankly, I think that's silly too. ALL the land around here is privately owned. Just assume you can't go on it without permission...rather than vice versa.

I know it's dangerous. One of the guys I talked to yesterday was shot one year. He was on his land...and somehow a bullet grazed him. It was far enough away he didn't recall even hearing the shot. So obviously he far enough away the hunters didn't see him...but he was still in the line of fire...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    In Saskatchewan, it is illegal to hunt within 500 meters of a yard, and you can not hunt on land without the owners permission.

If you post your land with "no hunting" signs and people still hunt on your land, it now becomes the same charge as poaching (forgot the name of it) in stead of hunting on land without permission.

When you see hunters on your land, you could then call the Report Pouchers hotline, 1-800-667-7561 and the game wardens will investigate and/or catch and lay chargers

I have been a avid hunter from many years and stories like this reall get under my skin. It doesn't take a lot of effort to follow the rules. If you hunt with safety in mind, then you will know were the yards are and what lands are posted or not. If your not doing that as a hunter, you have more than earned the crimial charges you will face.

***Rant over***
    Oops! Your high-speed is speedier than my high-speed...

He technically wasn't hunting on our property. He was on the land south of us. But the deer he shot went on our property. So he went after the deer. I'd still like someone to come to the door and ask if they can get the deer...before they wander around. Or leave me a note at the very least letting me know you were wandering about...

All I'm asking for is basic courtesy.

I'm pretty sure if I went to his house in the city and wandered in his backyard...he'd be miffed. Gun or no gun.

0 Not allowed!
    I really don't understand trophy hunting. It seems so horribly wasteful. If you shoot a deer, eat it! Venison is so nice, and a real luxury here in the UK.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    No...I don't get it either...and this wasn't some 'trophy- worthy buck either...too small...

Plus, we have a food bank. If you don't want the meat, or the hide, etc, you can donate it to the food bank. They will butcher and distribute it...no need for waste at all...

0 Not allowed!
    Rue, you're asking for common courtesy in an age where people are no longer being taught that. Learning to respect the rights and property of others begins in the home, as children. The old "do unto others as you would want done unto you", what once was called the "golden rule", not only is blatantly ignored these days -- it isn't taught to begin with, in a lot of cases. People just aren't brought up that way, anymore.

The prevailing mentalty seems to have adopted the adulterated version of "do unto others and don't get caught", or "he who has the gold makes the rules", etc. -- all intended to have the opposite effect of the original rule -- to make people selfish instead of considerate.

You might be fighting a losing battle, here. Your best bet is to learn what your local and provincial laws are regarding this, do whatever posting you need to do on your land, then report violations (and violators, if you know who they are) to the authorities. Hopefully, the laws will be enforced, but these days one can't even count on that.

Sorry you have to put up with this stuff. It isn't right, but a lot of people just don't seem to care, anymore, if they ever did.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks...

It's just so annoying...and I needed to vent/rant a little.

I used to get really angry...and now I'm more resigned...but still.

...and I agree. I come from a generation...and a set of rules...where it was considered very rude to put your feet up on someone else's couch when visiting...

Never mind running around acerages without permission...