· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Again

Default this post is a mess lol

0 Not allowed!
    Ok - If you remember reading about cycling with fish [If you made it that far into the pile of reading lol]... revisit it because you are now cycling with fish.

Well. I am not sure what to think about where you sit because you have no trAtes showing in the 30g but you have them in the 20.

Refresh my memory please, The 30 is newly set up right? newer than the 20 anyway?
    Ammonia on the 30 is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim S.
    yes, very soft water. Did you see the ammonia from the sticks I found? Are they at all accurate? AGES since I used a dipstick and you know my opinion - No idea really. Sorry. Technically they are better than nothing .... I guess.

OK here are the newest pictures.

Yes, I have 4 angels in the 20 gallon. How long can I keep them like that? I will stay on top of water changes.

I understand and appreciate your dedication but it's not about the WC, It's about the territory as said in the other thread.

I have no idea what to do with them all. My LFS is open Tuesday. Thinking of asking her to take the gold fish back and maybe the plecko, I read that a 30 may be to small for a plecko.

The 30 gallon has goldfish, dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, bw tetra and plecko currently. Betta is by himself

Can I maintain these until I can get myself a larger tank?
    Depends on the pleco, If it's a common, Yeah, DEF goes.

There is no time frame I could say that I am comfortable with. The fish being mostly really small gives you a bit of breathing room but this will not do for too long. If you maintain the water you could get a month out of it maybe more but honestly there is no telling when an angel will decide to stake a claim, It is a ticking bomb as mommy mentioned last night.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes the 20 has been up over a year and has ha no deaths or issues in a long time...

angels in there is temporary;noy going to keep them in there. just long enough to figure out a better plan.

how should i proceed? you have led me well thus far... just keep doing water changes; how much do i feed????

i have many more questions buy still reading...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does the lights being on affect all this? I turned the heater up to 80, will that be ok forall my fish?? Im getting a headache just processing all this. My filter in the 20 has not been changed in a while, I am learning that this is a good thing... Do I need to add some water to the 30 from the 20 since it has the nitrites. I need a plan... How much water do I take out? Does this stress the fish??

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Does the lights being on affect all this? I turned the heater up to 80, will that be ok forall my fish?? Im getting a headache just processing all this. My filter in the 20 has not been changed in a while, I am learning that this is a good thing... Do I need to add some water to the 30 from the 20 since it has the nitrites. I need a plan... How much water do I take out? Does this stress the fish??
    In order:

I hope you don't mean the lights are on 24/7. Fish need some down time too, It's as natural to them as day and night.

80 is tolerable but higher than angels require, My angels live at 77/76f.

Right you are about the filter. Forgive me but I have forgotten what filters you have... The ones that take cartridges right? [Do nothing to the 30g at this time] You can LIGHTLY rinse the 20 cartridge in dechlorinated water or old tank water if it is especially funky IE: If the filter flow is slowing down.

Swapping the water would only add something toxic [Trites] to the water and what we are really trying to do in your cycling 30 is grow bacteria in the filter. The filter is where the action is.

I know you have had mas quantities of info thrown at you recently but one way to clarify what we are shooting for is to review the "cycling with fish" sticky --> http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 {I am trying to save myself some typing there But we will be here for the coming questions on that topic }

yes the 20 has been up over a year and has ha no deaths or issues in a long time... Ok, good & thanks.

angels in there is temporary;noy going to keep them in there. just long enough to figure out a better plan. Yup

how should i proceed? you have led me well thus far... SHHH! You will ruin my reputation! ;-D & TYVM!
    just keep doing water changes; how much do i feed???? Exactly, More WC it is and large ones due to the amount of stock you have. [In your cycling 30g ->] You want to maintain your ammonia BELOW .5 [.25 is ideal] but not at 0 because you need ammonia to feed your growing BB colony.
    When you get your test kit you will be able to see exactly what your ammonia is and be able to determine the % of WC via math.

IE: If your ammonia is 1pp. a 75% WC brings it to .25. With heavily stocked tanks this is going to be a daily or nearly daily event [The % of WC is determined by your test results.]

Feed only what the fish will finish in 3 minutes - Not even kidding. I know it seems like a miniscule amount but it works, Promise. In fact, I would suggest the first time you try this you feed half the amount you usually do and see how that works [IMO - Most people overfeed and the extra food rots in the water and destroys your water quality].

Effectively, You take really good care of your water, You only feed the fish.

i have many more questions buy still reading... I bet
    You have had a long night, Enjoy a video:

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    With soft water and large water changes most likely the fish suffered from pH shock. This can be deadly and once done, little you can do. Changing the water again is worse than doing nothing.

In the future you need to either let the new water sit (so its pH can drift towards a value that better matches your tank water) or if that does not work, add a substrate that will make your in tank water harder. A pH of 6.5 and soft water can be an issue. Check your tap pH and I believe it willmeasure much higher.

If you are cycling you have an issue here - water changes are required but pH shock can be deadly. So, please post the pH of the tap and we can compare to your orginal pH values. Hopefully, this is not an issue.
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    With soft water and large water changes most likely the fish suffered from pH shock.
    This is a good theory and I also thought of it, but the second water change helped. If it was pH shock I think the second water change would have prolonged the problem.
    If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, the pH from her tap water is 7.0 and very soft and the pH in her tank is 6.5-7.0. There isn't anything in her tank that would drop or stabilize pH, only standard gravel and ornaments. Since her water is very soft and contains very little buffers, frequent water changes would replenish what little dissolved solids the tank water has to help stabilize the pH, at least stop huge fluctuations, for the short time between the frequent water changes needed during a cycle with fish. However a long term solution will probably be needed if the pH in the tank drops significantly between water changes.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default This morning...

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, Thank You from myself but my 6 yr old got up to no deaths!!!

20 gallon

Ph 7.0-7.2
    NO3 40-80
    No2 0
    Ammonia 0.25

30 gallon
    Ph 6.8-7
    NO3 20
    NO2 0
    Ammonia .25

All fish are stable and swimming like usual!

What next?

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I would say a water change on that 20g to bring the nitrate and ammonia levels down. But first test the pH in the tap water and post the results here so we can see if there is a difference in the tap pH and the tank pH.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok my tap water is 7.0

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your betta should stay by himself, those are not compatible tank mates.

Definitely return the gold fish...it will get too big and/or die from being overheated (they are a non-tropical fish)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!