· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Again

1. Default Help Again

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, My fish are in trouble. In process of a 75% water change. please tell me what to do other than water change. Betta now in betta tank. Angels moved to 20 gall short term, tetras goldfish plecko and guarmie in 30in process of wc....

0 Not allowed!
    "Trouble'' is not especially specific, If you know what I mean?

Any details? The more the better.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    What sort of trouble are they in? We need more specific information.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I panicked and criedfor help! Ok, here is where we stand. Did you look at my test results on the thread from last night? Take a look please while I type the book!

0 Not allowed!
    This is the last post from that thread:

Ok; did a 75% water change in my 30 gallon because had another angel pass.

Strip test: (ordering other)
    NO3 20
    NO 2 0
    Ph 6.5-7.0
    Alk 0- 80
    Th 0

Tested 20 gallon with bristle nose pleco
    NO3 160
    NO2 0
    Ph 6-6.5
    Alk 0
    Th 0

Please post a link to what all these parameters mean... Should I move the gold fish betta and tetras to 20 temporarily until Ivan figure something out?

Home with sick 2 yr old and can't really do much right this minute... Waiting on husband...
    Is that what you refer to?
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did a 75% water change this morning, only declorinater like you said. Fish were looking great. My 20 gallon had been a little neglected. I did about a 50% water change. Was going to change cartridge, but thanks to the links you gave me from last night, I didnt just swished in water with declorinator on both tanks. An hour after both WC I got those parameters. So, then I made a huge mistake, as I had not gotten far enough into the cycling with fish to know that it was a huge mistke. My fish were hungry.... So I fed. After reading tonight after putting my sick daughter to bed, I realized not only that feeding was a huge mistake, I also learned I am over feeding. So as I am deep into the links, I glance at my tank and all my angels are bumping into the glass on their side and my bw tetra was swimming like a nut again, and the betta. So insert PANIC, because the realization hit me that I did this to them! So I frantically started draining water as the angels were fading. So I probably broke another rule, but I moved them one by one to the 20 gallon becausethat tank had bacteria in it I hope, since it is the oldest. THen moved the bettato his old betta cube with fresh water and a little of the water from the 20 gallon and betta safe.

Thats when I posted my panic post and here I am, just refilled 30 gallon, and well the fish look MUCH better. So now what???

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, thats what In am talking about. I used the sticks again, as I ordered the kit you suggested shoulde be here tuesday. I have no ammonia test strips left so I have no idea of the ammonia. I have tested through out the day and levels in the 20 gallon the NO3 came down. I dont even know what thos numbers mean. As you read up gonna go test the water and come back with the current numbers.

8. Default Current stats

0 Not allowed!
    20 gallon

TH 0
    Alk 0
    ph 6.5
    NO3 20
    NO2 0
    Ammonia not 0, but just in between 0 and .25
    (found new bottle ammonia sticks)

30 gallon

TH 0
    Alk a little darker than 0
    ph 6.5-7.0
    N03 0
    NO2 0

Got new pics gonna post now. The water changes sure have made my tanks sparkle!

0 Not allowed!
    Come on Tues! You need that ammonia test!

To relate what you have been reading in the stickys to the strips.. NO2 is NitrIte - NO3 is NitrAte

Your trates in the 20g in the post I quoted are really high - Two 75% WC are required to bring that down to 10ppm EDIT: I see you did bring them down. 20 ppm is normally all the higher you would let the get.

ALK has to do with your waters carbonate hardness, [I am no chemist] It relates to your pHs stability. From what I am seeing you have really soft water right?
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-18-2012 at 06:30 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, very soft water. Did you see the ammonia from the sticks I found? Are they at all accurate?

OK here are the newest pictures.

Yes, I have 4 angels in the 20 gallon. How long can I keep them like that? I will stay on top of water changes. I have no idea what to do with them all. My LFS is open Tuesday. Thinking of asking her to take the gold fish back and maybe the plecko, I read that a 30 may be to small for a plecko.

The 30 gallon has goldfish, dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, bw tetra and plecko currently. Betta is by himself

Can I maintain these until I can get myself a larger tank?
    Attached Images Attached Images