· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Filter motor (wheel) getting clogged every few days...

0 Not allowed!
    My filter (Fluval 110) stops working every few days. I have to clear out the wheel in the motor and usually it starts working again. This time I cleared it out and it worked for less than a minute then stopped again. Maybe I didn't clear it out enough but at any rate, I switched to a bigger course sand and I'm wondering if that's what's causing it, so I'm thinking of putting a little sponge in the intake valve to try to keep that from happening. Will that cause the filter to work too hard to bring the water up? Has anyone else had this issue or tried putting sponge in their intake?
    Just looking for thoughts on the matter. Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds to me like your filter intake is too close to the sand. It should be off the sand about 4 inches or so. You can use a hacksaw to cut the pipe down to a shorter length. I did this to my current tank with my Eheim 2215. The intake with the strainer was way to long. Make sure do don't cut off the end that the filter tubing attaches to.

0 Not allowed!
    You could also try fitting a pre-filter sponge which will stop you having to clean your filter so often (you just swill out the pre-filter).

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After a more thorough clean what been happening is It'll get clogged, I'll unclog the wheel, but not rinse out the actual filter case so it still had a lot of sand in there and when turning it back on the sand that's still in the filter gets moved right back into the wheel in the motor.

I've moved a lot of sand to the sides lowering the surface level under the intake pretty significantly so it has created a lot more space (Thanks Jeff!).

Firefly, I was thinking a sponge cut to fit in the intake stem would serve as a pre-filter, is that how you meant it or something else?

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    How far off of the top of the sand does the intake sit? The sponge wouldn't be needed if the intake was further away from the sand.
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j250nyahweh
    Firefly, I was thinking a sponge cut to fit in the intake stem would serve as a pre-filter, is that how you meant it or something else?
    Yep, that's it. It'll cut down on debris in your filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j250nyahweh
    To clarify:
    Not INSIDE your intake, Over the top of the end of it. As Jeff mentioned, Simply moving your intake will work perfectly fine also.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    To clarify:
    Not INSIDE your intake, Over the top of the end of it. As Jeff mentioned, Simply moving your intake will work perfectly fine also.
    I missed the "in". Yeah that's it.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I 100% knew that wasn't what you meant, Just making sure the OP knew what you meant.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I totally didn't so I really appreciate the clarification. Just because I'm curious, why wouldn't I want to put even like in inch thick piece IN the stem? restrict the flow too much? It'll look better than to have a hunk tied to the outside of the stem and I don't see it being that much different in concept. Maybe the flow will force the sponge up the stem and to the motor (If it's thick enough I don't think the flow would push it through two right angles if that's it)? Too much of a pain to get out during maintenance? Sorry, reading back over this I don't mean to sound pushy or rude, I'm just genuinely curious why this wouldn't work.
    I really appreciate the feedback!
    Last edited by stalefish83; 11-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.