· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That looks horrible ! why would they do that to a fish ? Is that not illegal ?
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchbonneteater
    That looks horrible ! why would they do that to a fish ? Is that not illegal ?
    No, and you can find them in the UK too. Illegal to do it here, but not to import them. It's pretty awful.

I had a pair of tattooed glass fish when I was a teen. They died within a few weeks of buying them. I had no idea they were dyed/tattooed (although I was amazed by the colouring) and I feel terrible about it now. I really do. Naive and ignorant.

DO NOT support dyed fish, it's a dreadful trade.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with the aboce posters. Tattooed. Not gm. The colors often fade before the fish ends its very short life
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As everyone here has said already, there are a few major problems with this story.

A: the person at your LFS either lied to you so they wouldnt have to explain to you what a dyed fish was, or is so incompetent at their job that they should be fired. Just MHO...

B: Buying an unidentified fish is extremely irresponsible. However, that being said I am not going to give you grief for it as most of us have done it at one point or another. I just really hope you take this as a learning opportunity and come back so we can help teach you about this hobby just as others taught us. Please do not take our shock as an insult. It is so hard for us to see stories like this because it reminds a lot of us where we came from, and we do not like the fact that we have made the exact same mistakes.

C: Regardless of the employees ridiculous ignorance I would seriously reconsider ever buying from that shop again based solely on the fact that they are carrying a fish known for the cruel practice that creates it, and for its extremely shortened lifespan as a result. They should have told you upfront what you were buying, or better yet not have even given any money to a distributor that brings that animal in their doors.

I am glad you found us here tho. Do your best to make that fish as comfortable as it can be for the rest of its life. He/She has earned it.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Poor baby =(