· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Ranchu Growth Question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if my Ranchu (named Jelly) is small or growing at the correct rate. He is 2 years old and measures approx 2 inches long from tip of his tail to his mouth and about 1 inch high. His mates are a fantail 3 times his size but younger, a dragon eye, also younger but twice his size and a Moor who is around the same size but is a recent addition, adopted as a teeny thing and growing at the same rate as the others. Jelly is healthy though he just survived an Ich infestation and he eats well, flakes, veggies, pellets and peas and he is active and happy. I had to move him recently becasue the bigger fish have started to pick on him. I am wondering if he will grow anymore so he can go back in the larger tank with the other fish or do you think Jelly is a stunted fishy who will run into problems later on in life?

Thanks for your help.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelly'sMum
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if my Ranchu (named Jelly) is small or growing at the correct rate. He is 2 years old and measures approx 2 inches long from tip of his tail to his mouth and about 1 inch high. His mates are a fantail 3 times his size but younger, a dragon eye, also younger but twice his size and a Moor who is around the same size but is a recent addition, adopted as a teeny thing and growing at the same rate as the others. Jelly is healthy though he just survived an Ich infestation and he eats well, flakes, veggies, pellets and peas and he is active and happy. I had to move him recently becasue the bigger fish have started to pick on him. I am wondering if he will grow anymore so he can go back in the larger tank with the other fish or do you think Jelly is a stunted fishy who will run into problems later on in life?

Thanks for your help.
    FYI, Ranchu's & Fantails have the potential to grow to 6" each and the Moor to 10"

What size tank do you have them in?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Gee, I thought they'd get bigger than that, I mean from tip of tail to mouth, or do you mean just the body length?

Their tank size is fine, some 215 litres, but Jelly is in a 55 litre at the mo as he is very tiny.

I was really just wondering if Jelly is small for his age as the others are growing so much faster, that's all, or do Ranchu's grow slowly, very slowly...

0 Not allowed!
    Your ranchu is small for that age. At 2 years old, it should be 5-6 inches. Mine are 18 months old, and just past 6 inches. My demekin is also 18 months old and just past 7 inches.

I have friends with larger ranchus, above and beyond 8-9 inches. A big part of that is the bloodline/genetics and food.

He might be stunted, or this might be as far as his genes will take him.
    90G Goldfish Tank - 2 ranchus, a black ranchu, and a Demekin.

32G Micro fish Tank (need new pic) - Tetras, barbs and a loach.

15G Tank (On loan to my sister)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Xavier, I thought he was small, and I have this feeling that that's it for wee Jelly but we can't always trust our feelings so he may yet get bigger I guess.

He was the only calico ranchu in a bunch of orangey ones, and he has a black eye that makes him looks like he's been punched in the face, I couldn't resist him. It's strange, when I had an Ich infestation, it was Jelly who was the strong one and kept swimming and nudging the bigger fish to keep swimming, he held up Pidge (the fantail) when he wanted to lie down, it was heart wrenching to watch, but then after he nursed them back to health (along with salt :) they turned on him...typical, nurses have thankless jobs..tee hee...

If Jelly is always a litle bit smaller than my thumb and wenless but lives a long and healthy life I shall be very grateful regardless...he's pretty special. Thanks again for the time spent answering my question. Cheers!

0 Not allowed!
    If the other fish are pocking, it might be worth trying to feed a little more (2-5% of body weight) or at least more frequently (4-5 times a day). Also, make sure you have quality food (hikari or new life spectrum are good).

Of course, you'll need to keep a close eye on the water quality, but it might be worth a test. After a month, the other fish should have backed off the little one and, with any luck, Jelly will have grown a little.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feed them around 5 times a day already but maybe I will increase their intake a bit see if it helps. I am upgrading to a bigger tank in the next week so I might give Jelly a try with them back in then. No worries putting him back in, moving Jelly never stresses him, he seems to be a very relaxed little fish and takes it all in his stride, even the Ich couldn't get him down! Actually, he's kinda odd like that, tough as nails, bit like my tiny 4 foot high Nanna, she lived to a ripe old age and nothing ever affected her, I guess sometimes it's good to be very small and chubby! Hopefully the increase in food will yield good results and he can swim again with his friends. Thanks again for the advice.

0 Not allowed!
    Growth chart is in my signature if you want to browse through it.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I have five fancy goldfish. I got the first one two and a half years ago and the most recent one about a year ago. They range in size from about 2" to 4". None of them has grown by any appreciable amount since I got them. I feel like I'm providing them a pretty good environment, so I suspect it mostly comes down to genetics. Mine are all petsmart/LFS goldfish, not ones from a reputable breeder like Xavier has.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    I have five fancy goldfish. I got the first one two and a half years ago and the most recent one about a year ago. They range in size from about 2" to 4". None of them has grown by any appreciable amount since I got them. I feel like I'm providing them a pretty good environment, so I suspect it mostly comes down to genetics. Mine are all petsmart/LFS goldfish, not ones from a reputable breeder like Xavier has.
    Yes, it is so hard to say. I've almost never encountered store bought goldfish that weren't "small" - How much of that is genetics (A), and how much is stunting (B)? Either A or B, or A and B, will most likely result in a permanently small goldfish. Very little that an owner can do. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Smaller goldfish produce less waste, and thus are easier to care for in the long run.

However, I find that goldfish that are small due to improper care at the store (B), suffer from complications due to their stunting. You see, the organs tend to keep growing for awhile longer past when the body has decided to stop. So, these goldfish have, for example, larger than average eyes for their breed... not to mention digestive tracts too large, causing compression, etc.. Again, this could be a mutation cause by genetics. Genetics issues usually come in groups: A bad back, a missing gill cover, poor tail symmetry, missing anal fins, etc..

If the goldfish looks perfect, and the eyes are larger than the photos of the breed online, it is likely stunted (probably before it came into your caring hands). A short burst of heavy feeding will tell you if it is permanent. I've seen lionheads and ranchus develop wen fairly late in the life cycle. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't grow, but it gets a little bit of a wen.