· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Help

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Northerly but you can check PlanetCatfish to confirm the L#. [You haven't seen anything yet WRT 'so many types' ]

Zucchini floats, Weight it down with a stainless fork or rubberband it to something to keep it down. Raw is fine and most plecos love the stuff.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. Well, in addition to the driftwood that I will be picking up tomorrow, I will also grab some zucchini for him as well. Thanks a lot 850R.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by webs5361
    Awesome. Well, in addition to the driftwood that I will be picking up tomorrow, I will also grab some zucchini for him as well. Thanks a lot 850R.
    Don't know if this was mentioned but the likely best way to feed it is to put it in after lights out so they can munch all night and be sure to remove the uneaten portion inside of 24 hours to maintain your water quality.

YVW
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will do. And no it wasn't exactly mentioned, but I have read that leaving uneaten food in the tank can lead to toxic water conditions. But I definitely appreciate the heads up.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    [You haven't seen anything yet WRT 'so many types'
    Lol he's totally right about this. Makes for an interesting branch of the hobby, still have dreams of my own pleco-haven. Probably in some sort of breeder tank, maybe a 30, maybe a 40. Maybe even bigger... LOL sorry i'll stop now.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I feel horribly. I woke up this morning and one of the tiger barbs didn't make it. I have tested the water. When I tested the water, I got this:

7.5 pH
    ~ 0.25 ppm ammonia
    0.00 ppm nitrite

I did not test the nitrate as this is a new tank and probably not forming nitrate yet.

The water is a little cloudy, but I just figured that was the cycle running. But I did a small water change just to be safe (~15-20% or so).
    Last edited by webs5361; 11-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the barb. Do you happen to know what the PH was in the old tank water? if it was different from the ph in your new tank, the stress of the change could have affected him. Now that that others have made it through the night, I don't think you have to worry about a PH issue any more.

you're doing great and we are happy to help someone who is sincere and trying to do a good job - as you are

So - do you now have 2 filters on your 26 gallon? if so, that's great. double filtration is the best way to go.

For now, I'd test daily, before feeding and before any water change. anytime the ammonia and or nitrites approach .50 do a 50% W/C
    You could check for nitrates as a base line but I think you're right, there wouldn't be much of a reading yet
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The pH in the old tank and the new tank were and still are identical at right around 7.5. I did not swap the fish from the old tank to the new tank before making sure the pH was the same and the temperature was the same.

However, I am going to continue monitoring the water, and hopefully won't have any more fish die on me. But thank you for the encouraging words and I will hopefully not screw it up too terribly.

Oh, and yes, I have two filters on the 26 gallon tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the ph was a long shot. Chances are, that particular fish was already stressed for some reason. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, sometimes fish die.
    You're doing a great job. Your aunt would be very pleased.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, and I do understand that no matter how hard we try from time to time that sometimes the fish are going to die. Fortunately, I am a patient person. And, despite the unfortunate issue this morning, I am still enjoying learning about this and am hoping to turn this into a thriving aquarium. That seems so much more possible since I have found this community. Thanks again everyone.