· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Neon Tetra's not really feeding? any ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon "main tank" and a small 5 gallon tank i have sitting on my desk. I had a huge ick episode a couple months back in the main tank and lost all my fish , so i set up this small tank as a hospital/quarantine tank.

I let it cycle, and added a few fish. Figured id keep them in here for 3-4 weeks and If they are all healthy transfer them to my 55 gallon.

5 Neon tetra's
    1 cory cat (to eat the junk left behind)

I lost 2 Tetra's, not sure if it was due to stress or just weak pet store fish so i have

3 tetras
    1 cory cat

The tetras usually just Hang out with eachother and swim mid tank.

Ive been using omega one fish flakes, and the flakes would just float right in front of them, they wouldnt even nibble at it...So i tried crunching up and making them smaller, still didnt show any interest in the flakes...

I read online that Slow floating pellets are a lil better for them since they usually just catch the leftovers..So i bought some cichlid slow floating pellets, This seemed to do a little better, but after feeding them today, they just let them float on by...

Im assuming this is unusual behavoir.

Checked water condition and they are good?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    grr....another one just died ...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by meximan
    I have a 55 gallon "main tank" and a small 5 gallon tank i have sitting on my desk. I had a huge ick episode a couple months back in the main tank and lost all my fish , so i set up this small tank as a hospital/quarantine tank.

I let it cycle, and added a few fish. Figured id keep them in here for 3-4 weeks and If they are all healthy transfer them to my 55 gallon.

Checked water condition and they are good?
    How did you let it cycle? You did this with ammonia?

What are your current water parameters in that tank?

New fish might not eat for a day or 2 once they're in a new environment - they might hide too. The stress of being moved from the store to a new tank can kill a fish as well if it's not done slowly enough.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    those questions are perfect

personally, i recommend this:
    do decrease the risk of bad fish when purchasing, i wait 3 days (min) after the store gets their stock in. this allows for the weak fish to get bought/die off. it sounds cruel-ish...but i'd rather purchase the stronger ones. with this method, i've lost maybe 3 fish in the past 6months setting up my current stock.

0 Not allowed!
    Food is not the problem and my guess would be the tank was the cycled, the filtration is not adequate, the heat is too high or something else is going on. But it's hard to know because we are low of details here. Neon's do not like the heat very high.

The cycle would be my guess.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with all the above, just want to add that I have learned from people here and personally working from the advice given that if I float a bag on the top of the tank then release the fish some will die over the first couple of days I now put the bag in a bucket of warm water with a heater, run a small tube with a tap on it into the bag and tie the top. I then set the tap to drip water into the bag for about 90 minutes. Since using this method I have only lost a couple of fish in the last 3 months

Hope this helps.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed