· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default review my stocking list and tank equipment

0 Not allowed!
    I'm currently setting up a 20g long tank and wanted some advice on stocking.
    It's not going to be a planted tank and will only have plastic plants. The substrate will be mostly black sand and some gravel mixed in. I have an aquaclear power filter rated for 5-20g, aqueon 50 watt heater rated for 20g, and a bubble maker. I'm actually having a problem with the filter right now, it keep sucking up the sand and clogging the motor. Any recommendations for a different filter which will prevent this?
    Since I want to have glofish I need an actinic light, but I also will have other fish so are there any lights which have multiple or duel operating modes? I'm assuming that regular fish aren't going to be happy with just actinic lights.

Stocking:

10glo-fish
    4-6 cory catfish - is there a specific species that stays smallest? the pet store I went to had several different cory varieties.
    if it's at all possible I'd like to fit a rainbow or swordtail shark in, let me know if they will be too big for the tank or too aggressive.
    If the sharks are no good, can anyone suggest another fish, darker colored fish to contrast with the glofish, that will share the water column with them.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowCrab
    I'm currently setting up a 20g long tank and wanted some advice on stocking.
    It's not going to be a planted tank and will only have plastic plants. The substrate will be mostly black sand and some gravel mixed in. I have an aquaclear power filter rated for 5-20g, aqueon 50 watt heater rated for 20g, and a bubble maker. I'm actually having a problem with the filter right now, it keep sucking up the sand and clogging the motor. Any recommendations for a different filter which will prevent this?
    Since I want to have glofish I need an actinic light, but I also will have other fish so are there any lights which have multiple or duel operating modes? I'm assuming that regular fish aren't going to be happy with just actinic lights.

Stocking:

10glo-fish
    4-6 cory catfish - is there a specific species that stays smallest? the pet store I went to had several different cory varieties.
    if it's at all possible I'd like to fit a rainbow or swordtail shark in, let me know if they will be too big for the tank or too aggressive.
    If the sharks are no good, can anyone suggest another fish, darker colored fish to contrast with the glofish, that will share the water column with them.
    #1 - the filter you have isn't adequate - because of the space that your filter media takes up, it's recommended to have enough filtration for double the size of your tank - hence, 2 of those filters
    #2 the glo fish are fine as well as a group of corys (I have some peppered ones - they don't get larger than about 1 1/2in - no sharks - they get way too large for that tank size and are too aggressive as well - they need to be in their own tank
    #3 I am going to recommend that you stick with the glofish & corys - glofish are really danios and they don't stay all that small full grown - if you really wanted to, you could probably get a male guppy or two - they come in a variety of colors and there are other fish that do well as singles, but I'm not familiar with all of them
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second the no sharks things.

Perhaps a platy. Not too many other small fish that don't school.

A bristle nose pleco would work, but they are strictly bottom dwellers.

Avoid green or bronze cories for size concerns. I THINK panda cories stay smaller, and then pygmies, or course, are the smallest.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 

0 Not allowed!
    It appears that your filter intake is too close to your substrate. Either you have too much sand or the filter is going too far into the tank. Try and get one that doesn't drop into the tank as far, or get a hack saw and cut a small piece of the pipe off. (making sure you can reattach the end piece to the newly shorted pipe). Don't cut too much as it should be lower rather than higher in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I run a fluval 206 on my 20 long.

RE: Stocking

Have you considered a school of either Harlequin Rasboras or Rummy nosed Tetras?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have peppered cory cats, and mine are pretty big, and not fully grown, and the green and albino get large as well. I would recommend the Julii Cory or Skunk Cory. Both have pretty colors and I have not witnessed any large ones yet.

Rainbow shark is a bad idea. They need a minimum of 4feet long of tank for territory and patroling purposes, and they get 6-7 inches long....and would disappear against your black sand.

Ghost shrimp have been a favorite of mine in a 20 Gal community tank. Just a suggestion with your tank mates.

Clown and Rubber Lip Pleco tend to stay small, under 5".

If you have a large school of glow lights, and you want some contrasting shape and color, I would look into a single gourami, (Opaline, Neon Blue, or Pearl are some good varieties)

You also may have some luck with a small school of green or blue cobra guppies.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK so my revised stocking list:
    10 glo-fish
    4-6 skunk or panda or pygmy corys
    1 honey dwarf gourami
    2 ghost shrimp

I will look into getting a larger filter. I fixed the clogging problem, it was mostly because there was sand still floating in the water column.

8. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I've got 2 Julii Corys in mine, they're real cute. I also have 6 white clouds and 5 zebra Danio. Im thinking of adding 3 skirt tetra. They are really cool you should look em up. And if you're thinking of getting Semi aggressive tropical, make sure you have plenty of hiding spots. My honey Gourami killed 3 of my white clouds and 1 zebra danio. Good luck!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Add more than 3 schooling fish, or they will be nippy (especially skirt tetras)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about keeping shrimp if you don't have real plants, especially moss (which they love picking through).

I wouldn't recommend a gourami in a 20 gallon. Too small and too likely to pick on tankmates.

Panda cories are a good call - they stay little.