· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Do you still prepare water before a water change?

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't seen a lot of this idea going around, so I thought I'd ask. :)

Over the years I have always set out my water in buckets 24-48 hours before performing a water change. For a very long time I didn't even use a dechlorinator, as the chlorine offgasses usually in about 6 hours, and the rest of the time the water has a chance to get to room temperature. On some occasions, with more fragile fish or those that were breeding, I would add a water heater to the large bucket of water and bring it to the same temperature as the tank before the water change.

I don't see many posts about this process here, and was wondering if anyone else still goes through this ritual?

Cheers!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Water sitting will get rid of chlorine if it sits around for a couple days but does not get rid of chloramines. It's also the wrong temp when you want to add it to the tank.

De-chorinators work instantly and not worth the bother of storing water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    drain some water from the tank, add water conditioner to the tank, and then it's straight from the tap to the tank. Gets the temp just right and makes it real easy. I change over 100 gallons of water a week between all my tanks - I certainly don't want 20 buckets sitting around while I wait for the chlorine to gas off!
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lol! Well, I would use 25-gallon plastic garbage containers to prepare the water most of the time. But yes, they were disruptive. Then again I didn't/don't do the massive water changes as most people I'm noticing here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to both of the above

Most Canadian cities are now using chloramines to treat their tap water

I would suggest using a good quality dechlorinater, like Prime, as already suggested
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I always use a dechlorinator but for the chloramine. Montreal's water, thankfully, doesn't have fluoride... but I guess that's not much of an issue.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Exclamation 140+ here :-7

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    drain some water from the tank, add water conditioner to the tank, and then it's straight from the tap to the tank. Gets the temp just right and makes it real easy. I change over 100 gallons of water a week between all my tanks - I certainly don't want 20 buckets sitting around while I wait for the chlorine to gas off!
    Same process here & for the same reason.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for kind words - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I just have a 20long with Danios and Juvenal Rams. I use well water but treat with Prime each time I do a water change (35% CHANGE TWICE WEEKLY). I have had great results with Seachen products but I'm sure there are other water conditioners that will work...just add the conditioner to the first container of adding water....test for ammonia and nitrites/nitrates weekly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    If I am only replacing the water that evaporated in my tank then I use a gallon milk jug and treat with prime to replace. During water changes, I dose the tank with prime hook up my Python, Get the temp out of the faucet to the temp of my tank using a thermometer and holding under the faucet adapter of the Python. Then I fill the tank, slowly.