· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What to do with a shy Purple Firefish Goby

0 Not allowed!
    I had a Purple Firefish Goby that was always hid inside a cave. Only to show up late in night and then jump back in it cave. It disappeared with no reason (I believe he got stock between my DIY background that got lose and the glass.

I bought a new Purple Firefish Goby. This one is even worse. Since it was dropped inside the tank few days ago, it is hiding under a rock.

I have, clowns, cromis, tang, butterfly. All peaceful and most new addition.

What should I do with this one?
    Are they in general always hiding out all the time?

Thank you

0 Not allowed!
    You are likely not going to see the true behaviour of the new fish for about another week or so. It can take that long for a new fish to get used to (feel safe in) their new home.

My firefish used to spend most of their time hidden in the rocks, but now they are out about 3/4 of the time.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It takes weeks for firefish to calm down and be out a lot. Quite normal.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Mine's out and about all the time now, but it does spook easily. It took around a week for it to settle, and I have a quiet tank. I don't think they like a lot of activity in the tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank guys.

Should I be worry about feeding it?

I try to drop few pieces of food around its hide out hole before I turn off the light at night, so maybe it comes out to it.

-----
    I also have a red and a green clown goby and a Diamond Watchman Goby.
    I like to also add the following in fuure:
    Rainford's Goby
    Hi Fin Red Banded Goby
    Chinese Zebra Goby (Bar goby)
    Sleeper Gold Head Goby

Do you see problem with that?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How big is the tank and how many fish do you have now? You want a lot of gobys and though they are cool fish they dont always get along with each other. BTW,your firefish more then likely stays hid while lights are out and if you dont see it eating then it isnt getting much. That said,it will come out and stay out more unless there is something wrong with it or your tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    How big is the tank and how many fish do you have now? You want a lot of gobys and though they are cool fish they dont always get along with each other. BTW,your firefish more then likely stays hid while lights are out and if you dont see it eating then it isnt getting much. That said,it will come out and stay out more unless there is something wrong with it or your tank.

Nice, I have 90 Gall + 30 Gall Sump. I have Too many hide out and rocks as I made a DIY Foam+Epoxy background with many additional rocks placed into the tank.

I have: Tomato and ocellaris clown, a tang, a Butterfly, Chromis, a Pajama Cardinal, a blenny, two shrimp and the four gobies. All being small sizes.

I tired to picking different looking gobies in hope they would get along with other, do you see risking selection among my choices?

I'll try to keep dropping food in front of its cave and wait for more days to see what happens.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Feed something that stays floating for awhile such as babby brine shrimp or cyclopeez. Soak it in selcon and garlic extract to whet its appetite. Firefish like to pick and eat that way naturally by just catching what's small in the water column. As for more fish,I'm not experianced enough to give advice where your at.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice fish. Maybe he is very shy because it's just one. Also, they don't do well around fast moving fish and fish that might chase them away.