· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion5
    You can tell your son that they are dieing because they were sick, which isn't far from the truth. :)
    !
    Or that you killed them..

Default true choco but there's a 3yo here

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion5
    You can tell your son that they are dieing because they were sick, which isn't far from the truth.
    Or. . . You could tell your son the actual truth.

That being this: You don't have appropriate housing for them ATM and it is causing them problems so they had to move to a better place to live.

They are better off to go live long happy lives somewhere else because it is not going to happen in that 2g of water.
    One small feeder goldfish is ok in two gallons, although I agree that it shouldn't be there.
    I disagree with the first half of this [You took both sides ] If it shouldn't be in there - It is not ok.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Feeder goldfish are baby comets. They are meant to be eaten by others and if they are not, they grow to a foot just like commons. They are for ponds and if not for ponds, big tanks with very good filtration.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I took both sides for a reason (harm reduction), because I'm pretty sure that the member is going to keep fish in this tank, and presuming that there was no heater I suggested one small feeder goldfish. :)

But you're right, I was assuming, possibly incorrectly.

Goldfish are BETTER for ponds, not ONLY for ponds.
    Last edited by Orion5; 11-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.

5. Red face

0 Not allowed!
    WOW!!!Thank you all for the quick response.
    reading what you all wrote just shows how ignorant I've been and now I have to tell my daughter I Killed them!
    I'm embarrassed to say what I have now Because from what you've all said, I put my fish in a death trap from the beginning.
    Just to paint you a picture of my ignorance, here's a description of my fish bowl:

8 liter capacity.
    1 air stone
    Shells and stones at the bottom which I picked from the sea shore when we were in South Africa.
    no filtration
    no heating
    open top
    Was feeding twice a day with store bought fish food, not pellet form
    Was changing water and cleaning tank every three days and by then it was cloudy, you could see the fish poo at the bottom

I asked the fish guy if I needed filtration he said no!
    I can't return the remaining fish.
    Yes I am planning to get a bigger aquarium, I kept asking the fish guy about the bigger aquariums but he kept brushing me off and saying what I had is sufficient.
    This is so embarrassing
    I've already downloaded the e book and will begin there, I've found out about filters from a different pet shop in a neighboring country and they too have opened my eyes to my foolishness!

Thank you all for your helpful bluntness!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't be embarrassed-- lots of us learned the hard way. Now that you can do your research you'll know what to do. What fish do you have left again?

7. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    1 Purplish Betta & 1 white lion head that's not doing well

0 Not allowed!
    Complete large and daily water changes using a good quality dechlorinater until you can get thos fish in a large enough tank for them

That will help to keep you fish safe and healthier in the short term
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Eeek....

The betta is the one that will probably survive the best in that small of an aquarium.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much, will do! Though I don't have a dechlorinator available on our local market.