· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default shovelnose catfish?

0 Not allowed!
    I was at the pet store the other day and they had about an 8 inch shovelnose for sale. My question is does this fish require a heater? I have a blue channel cat and a golden bulkhead in with other native lake species in a 150g but I don't run a heater. I asked the lady there and she told me the tank it was in was 80 degrees so it must reguire warm water.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they are tropical, if it is NOT a lima nose, the regular ones get massive like 500 gallon massive. The limas can be kept in a 200 to 250 gallon. they are however slow growers, but would not go with your stock already.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the blue channel will grow faster and eat it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes channels will outgrow pretty much everything but a pond

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I looked at him again today and it just says shovelnose and a maximum size of 18"..when my blue channel gets too big I have a buddy with a pond and he will go in there...I've had him about 6 months and he's only grown maybe an inch...so I should have a few years

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by h&hmarine
    I looked at him again today and it just says shovelnose and a maximum size of 18"..when my blue channel gets too big I have a buddy with a pond and he will go in there...I've had him about 6 months and he's only grown maybe an inch...so I should have a few years
    I used to own a lima back when i had my monster tank, I am about 90% sure that there isnt any shovelnose under 3 feet, maybe another big cat keeper will chime. IMO I wouldnt get one unless you are prepared with tank first. those big shovels need LOTS of filtration,

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    tiger shovelnose get REAL big

limas look like this and don't get nearly as big. limas can be housed in large tanks.

both species are very common in the aquarium trade.
    Thar she blows!!!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I'm not going to get him..my tank is 150 gallon but like I said no heater so I don't want to take a chance on killing him even though the tank stays about 66 degrees. I'm just going to try to catch a few more yellow perch and stick with the two cats I have now.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the only small cold water monster cats that are a descent size are bullheads

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bullheads dont get very big though..the lakes around here are loaded with them and I've never seen one over about 16"...channel cats are the monster coldwater cats or blue cats.