· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Advice on discus

0 Not allowed!
    I have been keeping fish for years now and am entertaining the idea of getting a discus tank. I have been reading and reading as I do and have found some conflicting info so thought I would ask for some personal opinions. Here is where I'm at

Thinking of doing a 6ft planted tank with sand as a substrate. 2 heaters 2 canisters rated for 100% of the tank. All with 5-6 discus. Not Juvie and reccomended 4cm+??

1. Would 40-50% water changes weekly be suitable?
    2. Can I have 2 bristlenose with them?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by waack; 11-17-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    bn plecos are fine with discus. just be warned that they create huge amounts of waste. I had one that crapped more than my 8 adult discus combined. got rid of him and do far less cleaning. plus, once they grow, they learn that it's easier to eat the fish food than the algae. 50% wc's per week can work with a light bioload. I do 70% every 5-7 days. does'nt take much longer to do an extra 20-25 gal unless your using buckets. good call on buying larger fish, but I would go for at least 8 in that tank. the more discus the better and you will still have room if you want to add some dither fish or cories. I have 8 wilds, 25 lemon tetras, and 12 cories in my 120 gal (48x24x24).

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    You could get more discus in a tank that large but the number you are considering is on the low side - get no less than six but ten would be better for two reasons (if the price isn't prohibitive.) They will school better - that is fight far less and the smallest will have a good chance to be left alone. Second, you will have a high probability that two will pair off.

Your water changes are fine for non-breeding adults but for grow out, not large enough. That said, consider an algae scrubber (I use one as many here do as well) to help keep the nitrates and phosphates close to zero. This will allow those water changes to work for grow out (not breeding.) Also, since discus are messy eaters a scrubber will help prevent algae growth.

As for bristlenose they are a mix bag - many discus keepers use them but some have seen problems. I fall on the 'why risk it?" side of the issue but really, your call. I use Sterba's corries - they match the water parameters of discus exactly (very soft, low pH and high temperature 85 - 88 F) and will never attempt to feed off the discus (many fish, esp. algae eater types tend to do this at night when the fish are most in need of being left alone.)

Consider the possible issue if treatment may some day be required for the discus: 90 - 92 F and salt. Bristlenose will not tolerate but Sterba's corries can.

These are my takes on the subject and others may have different ideas. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-17-2012 at 12:28 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for the reply I have existing tanks with 2 albino bristlenose that is the only reason I ask. I'll have to think long and hard cause you're right no point risking fish of that cost. Cost is slightly prohibitive but research is require d for breeder is the area plus I'm fairly friendly with a Lfs owner who does some good stuff

At this stage breeding isn't in mind whatsoever mainly due to the requirements for raising them. ATM I you buckets for water changes but if I was going to get discus I'm obviously going to have to look at a long hose from the sink. Local water is soft and slightly acidic which is good I guess. Can you provide me more information on the algae scrubber I have done some reading without a sump is it hard to incorporate neatly
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I say price is slightly I mean the initial outlay of close to $600+ for 6 or so fish on a good day. Up keep and the like is no issue. Also in terms of lighting obviously low for discus but anything in particular you can ad? what's best ignoring plants because obviously they are 4th and 5th importance compared to the fishes

journal @

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also any plants not reccomended for discus

journal @

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Most common plants do not work for discus due to the high temperature these fish need - do not believe books that say under 82 F is ok; they will, sooner or later, get ill. I feel that 84 - 86 F is a ok range with the high side being better. There are web companies that sell discus tank plants - they are fine with these temps.

As for algae scrubbers, I'll send you a site I used; it has some details on these units and how to make one - has parts if you want to buy a unit to assemble yourself, or just want to create your own. Of course they have off-the-self units. Just be sure to buy a timer to run it. These are in tank units so they take up no outside space (unlike large slump systems) and are very small. That means they handle only some of the bioload and water changes and good bio-filters are still required.

Six discus should be fine for getting along. For tanks over 100 gals, water changes need not be as large or as often. A scrubber would be a good idea since this will hold nitrates and phosphates down - both tend to get high with discus due to the large amount of waste they generate.

One point - you are investing a lot in your discus (besides their cost, the tank and two canister filters) so don't go cheap on the heaters. Get two (each end of the tank) and get the units that can be submerged completely. Having it heat the bottom water makes for more uniform temps. Titanium is a good idea since discus can be treated with salt and that will really hurt Stainless Steel heaters. Besides, they don't break!

Also, two thermometers (esp. if one is digital) is a good idea.

Keep aquarium salt on hand - combined with temp can cure a lot of issues.

Finally, I do not like live worms (I feel it is asking for parasites and illness)- use frozen that has been sterilized and fortified with extra B. Live brine shrimp are great, however.

Post questions as you have them. Best of luck and enjoy discus; they are wonderful fish because they really do get to know you. Mine love to watch TV and always recognize me. They'll eat out of my hand.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for your help. I have been doing some more looking today and am thinking over my summer break (im at uni) i might make a project of it, get a tank build the stand and cover etc and go with a sump. I have access to a smaller tank that i can use and pumps seem fairly cheap and i can afford to keep a spare. Yeh i have been thinking that, maybe if i go a cheap version of this or that, but then i realise the fish are going to be worth so much the extra $50 will prob save a lot of trouble down the road.

Good to know about the worms and food etc. i have looked at sump scrubbers and lots of people including you seem to be smitten, and if it reduces nitrates i can't see a reason not to use one. Planning on having dual overflows running into a sump atm which will run over the algae scrubber and the sump will have bio balls and lots of other media. Have began questioning a few breeders in Aussie forums i go on:) i'm sure to have questions and if i decide to go down the project root i might make it a journal we shall see.

journal @

0 Not allowed!
    you will get different opinions on discus. I am by no means an expert and have only 2 1/2 years experience with my discus. I have wilds and my temp is between 82-83 with a ph of 7.6 and wc's with tap water and prime. pics of my tank are posted and most agree that my fish look healthy. I agree that juvies are harder to raise but these fish can be kept by anyone willing to spend a little more time on tank maintenence. too many people are afraid to keep discus because of thier reputation for being almost impossible. one tip is to get your fish from a reputable breeder and not your lfs. you'll get better quality fish for a far better price.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeh I looked at your tank you have some amazing fish. Yeh I'm looking at some breeders but I'm friendly with my Lfs owner. He runs one of the best shops I have seen. Betas in heated tanks posters warning against goldfish in bowls and that sort of thing. He gets a lot of his top end fish from local breeders so I was going to maybe work out something in terms of me getting then straight from his breeder

journal @