After a solid hour of reading internet articles, I am now even more confused than when I started. A couple of fish in my 45g tank have started to display white dots like grains of salt on their fins. There is never any more than one dot at a time (so far), and not on the body as far as I can see but I want to nip this in the bud. Currently it is affecting 3-4 fish, including 2 harlequin rasbora, a dwarf chain loach and a three-spot gourami. Other tank inhabitants are peppered cories.

After all my research I still have no idea whether this is Ich or Velvet, or even the beginning of Lymphocystitis. I'm guessing it's a result of stress from moving all the fish into a new tank a few days ago. Is there a treatment which would knock out all three, since I'm not sure which I have?

I am at all loss to whether I should treat with heat + salt, as I hear cories are intolerant of salt and as are loaches, or with either methylene blue or malachite green, which again loaches are sensitive too.

My first instinct is to go with the heat + salt method and treat with meds if it proves unsuccessful. Could anyone tell me how much salt I should add? I was thinking 2-3tsp per gallon and temp up to around 85F.

Thanks, guys.