· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so are you serious about my betta not being with anyone? Is this feasable for the time being... I have a 5 gallon... tetras in there all of them??? neons and BW?

Move the smaller angels in the 20

leave the rest in the 30?

Ps I will get a better test kit... any suggestions... does the liquid stuff that keeps the ph at 7.0 work???

I am honest in saying these fish have been NO trouble.... They swim happily normally...

I had no idea it was that over crowded. I really havent done any research, this is my first fish forum. I had no idea this many people love their fish like I do, my betta will eat from my hand... Tulip will too

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    The betta and the neons can go into the 20g with the bristle nose pleco.
    The angels need a bigger tank, don't put them in the 20g.
    Don't mess with the ph, stable ph is better than proper ph and your fish have already acclimatised to the ph in the tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Default How a dead angel = "no trouble" is beyond me, but ok. They are babies is why

0 Not allowed!
    You have options & I will not beat around the bush about it:

You can explain that the fish needed homes that would suit them and your tank will not do. So, They had to go elsewhere.

Or

You can wait for the maturing angels Gourami and betta to have WW3 in your tank. This will include more deaths.

It's not 'if' - it's 'when'.

It's entirely your choice which conversation you want to be having..

If you actually care about your fish... Why have you done no research to learn how to best look after them? Seems counter intuitive.

10 minutes on Google would have told you heaps.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-17-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok,so what about testing kit instead of strip, I have the API liquid ph test with the up and down ph drops... used last ammonia stick... are those strips ok? Im watching the fish and they are ok, but the bw tetra is swimming wild again but not disoriented like before.

Is it safe to chg 50 % water that often if I keep all the angels, goldfish and dwarf in the 30 until I can figure out how to work this out

BTW you have an impressive arsenal of tanks... wow is all I can say...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I havent googled before because I have gone on the suggestions of the fish store owner, I have looked up a thing or two tonight, thats how I found this forum,

I didnt mean no trouble, I meant before the dead angel, since my aquarium initiation thanks to petsmart last september. I LOVE my fish. Like I said my son started this but we share the joy now. He is obsessed. My betta is swimming a bit wild now, not disorganized but kinda darting around... Will the water change that fast since my water change earlier?

Are the fish strong enough to be moved right now? Like tomorrow? Or should I let them recover?

I know the bettas can be agressive, but do they normally become aggressive when you have seen no signs of that in like almost 4 years?

I also try not to believe all I read on google. The fish store I go to helped me introduce these fish to see how they would get along knowing that the potential would be there for a fight...

0 Not allowed!
    Strips are useless IMO. Use this test kit, Even with shipping I promise it is cheaper than your LFS.

If the up/down drops are pH adjusters - Don't bother, Adjusting your pH is HARD on fish. Stable pH is much better at any pH that is not OFF the scale.

WC will never hurt but they don't fix "too small of a footprint for a tank".

The WC will help maintain your water parameters [Only testing will show if it is enough].

WC will do nothing to prevent the maturing angles from claiming and defending territories. Since there is not enough room for more than one territory this means they will all always be in someone elses space...

That = WW3

Thanks, I am fond of my tanks

Bettas can change or tire of company in a flash yes. At nearly four years old he is an old man anyway and likely nearing his end.

I would absolutely not take advice from any shop that would let [much less suggest] someone take home koi and 5 angels to a 30G tank. Actually that's a pretty big clue that they either don't know better or don't care.

I hope there are other shops in town, I would not shop there.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-17-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bet you think I am dumb as a box of rocks...

I just browsed throught the journal section... I am so out of my league here. I dont know half of what people are doing to start a tank... I would never think to plant real plants... I feel very stupid, I only thought I knew what an aquarium is... Thanks for helping me.

a couple of questions, do you think they are swimming crazy because of my ph chg and what I put in there? I thought the Angel died because of the ph change because at last check ph was 7.0; and has been that way a long time. What caused that drop? What can I do right now?

Why should I not have the koi angel in the 30? If I leave all the angel in the 30 with the dwarf and move out the tetras and betta, will that be able to work a while? I have done very little maintenance, I add water when needed, change filter thing, feed, and water change every couple of weeks, have I just been lucky with this combo of fish?

Thumbs up YVW - It's what we do here :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Relax, You are just uninformed. Nobody is born knowing this stuff and there's a bit more to it than 'Just add water'.

And yes, You have been Very very lucky with some juvie fish so far but that will not last. Your learning curve is going to be a bit steep for a bit but it's far from impossible.

Oops, I have been reading 'koi' as the gold fish. Any comments I made about koi refer to the gold fish.

Too much going on to tell what's up with your pH.

Link to a dozen red beginner stickys:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...splay.php?f=66
    Free E-Book: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...2&d=1158951053
    Links on cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=111
    You have learned a lot tonight, Take a little break and enjoy these pictures.
    That's a pretty good start for you.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-17-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    The betta and the neons can go into the 20g with the bristle nose pleco.
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    I would start by moving the betta and neons over to the 20g, but watch the parameters carefully since adding fish might cause a mini-cycle.
    A 30g is just big enough for 1 angel and not much else. They like a lot of territory and will eventually claim it. This is why your tank is a ticking time bomb. Ph swings can kill fish, but like 850 says, we don't have enough information to know if that is what happened. Just remember a stable ph is better than the correct ph and adding those drops isn't a good idea.
    Browse the beginners section of the forum, you are not out of your league here. I have been keeping fish for over 40 years, several people here have this long of experience in this hobby and it just becomes second nature to us, however most of us started right where you are, my first tank was a 5 gallon stocked with three goldfish... didn't end well.
    You said you can't afford a bigger tank, but have you checked craigslist for your area? Many people find some nice deals on larger tanks.
    Last edited by mommy1; 11-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I have done very little maintenance, I add water when needed, change filter thing
    I suggest that after you relax and look through those tank pictures (good suggestion - beautiful tanks), read carefully through the links that you have been given, especially on cycling. Should not be changing filter media, just rinsing in dechlorinated water or old tank water. No need to panic; accept that changes to your practices are probably in order.

One of the more important points that folks have also been trying to get across to you is that you most likely have all very young fish at the moment, except perhaps for that betta. A tank should be planned for the mature fish, their sizes and the usual temperaments and habits they will display as they grow to adults. You can certainly "fit" 5 young angels in a 30 gallon tank. But they grow quickly and you will most likely have a disaster even before they have the opportunity to reach adulthood.

In addition to the beginner links you have been provided with, google each of the fish you have and learn what their needs are. One of the biggest mistakes beginners make (we've all probably done it) is to impulse buy when looking to stock a tank. A really good piece of advice I've received and that I try to pass on to people just starting out who don't really know what they want yet is to "window shop" first. Make a list of all fish that interest you. Go home and research their needs - tank size requirements, do they need to be in a school, compatibility with others, etc. Run the list by people here who actually have those fish and can provide the real experience they have had.

Mistakes can be corrected, with a little knowledge and advice from those who've been there, done that.
    Last edited by SueD; 11-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.