· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Another Sick Cory - Very different symptoms

0 Not allowed!
    If you read my earlier thread, i had some peppered corydoras which passed away rather suddenly due to some kind of bacterial issue. The symptoms of the first cories to get sick were lethargy, sitting at the bottom of the tank with whitish spots forming at base of fins and fin erosion.

This new case, so far, is only affecting one fish, but it is another peppered cory. The only potential similarity is the posterior dorsal fin is missing, but no white discoloration and the whole fin is gone, like it was bitten off, and no other damage to other fins. Also the right pectoral fin is paralyzed, and the fish is spending a lot of time at the top of the tank, swimming rather erratically. Also the area around the gil slit and the pectoral fins on both sides is very enflamed with pinkish reddish color. That same reddish blood color extends down the body in what looks like bruising, down the bottom belly of the length of the fish. I have tried to take about 20 pictures and I have not captured much.

I will not be replacing any corydoras after this one, but I am very curious as to the diagnosis. I will continue to try and take photos and post if I get any good shots.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How long has your tank been cycled and what are your current water parameters?

Bottom feeders are the first to experience problems and should be introduced into a completely cycled tank only. Ammonia levels are higher at the bottom of the tank.

Sounds like fin rot to me.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank completed cycle a week or two ago.

I just tested the water an hour ago. All is well.
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 10ppm

I always try to test close to the mouth of the power filter since its intake tube sits close to the gravel.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like there might be some aggression going on, maybe from the tiger barbs or the rainbow shark.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Images posted:

Image #1:
    No flash, left side of body, missing posterial dorsal and inflamation around pectoral is visible.

Image #2:
    Used flash to try and capture detail, left side of fish, this is the side that is paralyzed.

Image #3:
    The fish died overnight, and this is the underside of the fish. You can see the pink and red inflamation throughout the body and blood under the scales in a few spots along the body.

Anybody know what this is?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    No expert but that looks like some type of aggression has occured.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi ddavis! Great pictures! Usually when you see those spots of red on the body, either as streaks or pinpoint spots, it is an indication of septicemia and a sign of a greatly weakened fish. I hope all of your cory problems are over with this last death.

0 Not allowed!
    what else was in the tank with the cory?
    besides being beaten up, it also looks slightly emaciated, so
    there might be something in the tank preventing it to get enough food.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The list of tank mates is in my signature.

I didnt notice immaciation, but it was only about 48 hours from the pet store, so it could have been a pre-existing condition. So far so good on the other cories.

I have also been informed that due to the size of the substrate, that food particles are getting trapped and that the cory could have been the victim of poisoning due to spoiled food.