· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question german blue ram centered tank

0 Not allowed!
    New to the site so I apologize if I'm asking an annoyingly repeated question, but I'm getting a 55+gal tank tomorrow and want to know everything about centering this tank around the ram. Now I do have a general knowledge about the fish and having a freshwater aquarium, but its been a while since my last tank. So recommended bedding, plants, tank mates, and most of all, is buying these fish online a smarter idea? Feeders and petsmart always have horrible looking german blue rams.

0 Not allowed!
    First thing you should do - if you haven't already planned it - is to cycle your tank.

Fishless cycling link.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Cycling with fish link.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

It's better to cycle without fish, if you can, but if you can't then don't try and cycle it with the Ram in there. They're far too sensitive to water conditions. If you do have to cycle with fish, then look to getting a school of zebra danios or something like that.

Sand is a good substrate for Rams, lots of plants (whatever you like the look of really), and some rocks to make up some caves and other little structures.

A couple of nice sized schools of tetras are nice with Rams. Try and choose the less nippy/aggressive ones, and stay away from Barbs, such as Tigers. A nice group of bottom dwellers, like Corys would be ok too.

There'll be more suggestions though!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the reply, I've never tried sand, how do you go about cleaning it (before and after the tank is set up)?

0 Not allowed!
    There's plenty of sands that you can buy through LFSs, specifically packaged for aquariums. And all you do to clean it, is put it in a bucket and run a hose into it. Let the water run through it for a while, then mix the sand up a bit, then run the water again. It probably won't get it spotlessly clean, and there'll probably be a bit of cloudiness in your tank water for a little while, but it'll settle down once your filtration takes over and the water isn't moving all over the place. To keep it clean, once it's in the aquarium, all you need to get yourself is a gravel vacuum. They're found at most LFSs too, and they're pretty cheap.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye
    Thank you for the reply, I've never tried sand, how do you go about cleaning it (before and after the tank is set up)?
    Pool filter sand is a great option and it comes basically ready to go! I usually throw it in a bucket rinse it out until water comes out clean and throw it in. I have 2 GbR'S. LOVE THEM!!! Make sure ur tank is fully cycled b4 adding GBRS as they are not for the inexperienced. Way cheaper!!!!!!
    Last edited by C-Dub; 11-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All right guys, you have been a great help so far. One last question and I should be satisfied haha. Do ether of you have experience buying fish online? as I said before, my LFS(that does stand for local feeder supply right?) and many others around me carry poorly bred GBRs. Is buying fish online and having them shipped to you a safe idea?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I used to have a GBR, so heres some general advice from me;

- pH, have you tested your tap waters pH? Rams really do need a pH of 7 or less, anything above 7.2 in my opinion aint gona do too well with your GBRs.

- Make sure your GBR is the last fish into the tank, since they are so sensitive to water conditions it is best to allow your tank to mature for3-5 months before getting your GBR. Aswell as that it allows you to get to grips with weekly maintenance of a 55G before you have a delicate fish.

- Tankmates, GBRS do well with Kribs, Appistogrammas, tetras, danios, Golden wonder Panchax, Khuli Loaches, Corys, Plecos, rasbora etc.. Appistogrammas could be a good tankmate further in the future, aslong as your tank's pH is 7 or less.

- Feeding, GBRs aint fussy eaters, mines ate Daphnia, Bloodworms, krill, tubifex worms, flake, sinking tablets . . . .

And finally filtration, in two words 'Double it' your tanks a 55G so for ease of maintenance and general well being of the tank aim to filter for a 110G capacity, more is always better!!

Heres my old ram

p.s I haven't bought fish online so no comment from me
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the info, I'm sure it will prove useful in the weeks to come. You said something about having double filtration on this tank I'm getting; I already have two tank filters, both of which are made for tanks 20-40gal, will this be enough?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Mmm, you could manage with those filters, but really for peace of mind I'd advise you to up it a bit more than that. Perhaps you could look at a canister filter rated to around 100G with one of those you've already got. That would do the job
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

10. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know if my thread will be getting anymore replies so, thank you to all who took time to give me tips and advise on centering my new tank on the GBRs. You guys have made a great impression on me and I will be visiting this site regularly. My final question still stands though, to anyone who has knowledge or experience with buying fish online (preferably GBRs) please share it with me! Finding breeders and people who know what they're talking about, when it comes to freshwater tropical fish, are slim here in KY.

And again thank you all!