· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to what mommy1 said (apart from the wild caught part). I like wild-looking fish, but wish we didn't keep taking from the wild.

0 Not allowed!
    I saw someone sharing this picture on facebook a while ago and promptly snuffed them out for supporting dyed fish... now I feel a little bad. In my defense, they do look suspiciously dyed.

I vote no anyway. Honestly, if people don't like the way fish look in their beautiful natural forms they shouldn't keep them. They're an animal, not an accessory. The same kind of people that buy these will be the people that get their poodles fur dyed.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting points!

I would clarify that on one OP the writer is correct, these fish are not dyed-- they are genetically manipulated in the egg to display these colors, spliced with the genes of a semi-fluorescent species of coral.

They are far from natural, but on another post someone mentioned about breeding dogs and so on... Keep in mind a vast majority of the fish we own have been inbred over hundreds of generations to produce more vibrant colors. Discus' natural color is black and muddy brown. Same with angelfish. Goldfish (carp) are brown, and their shapes aren't even the same as what we buy in the fish store. And the whole koi spread of varieties are genetic mutants inbred over thousands of years.

There is very little natural about the fish we keep, or the dogs or cats for that matter.

What bothers me the most is that they spliced genes with another thing that wasn't even a fish. Ya know, like tomatoes carrying frog DNA or something like that.

The reason the scientists were so adamant in producing this color in angelfish is supposedly angelfish do not naturally carry the gene for any sort of "red" or reddish pigments.

These angelfish are 3500$ Canadian each, in case you want one. And yeah, as with anyone creating a new variety of fish, thousands are culled before the desired traits appear. All new varieties are ruthlessly put through this process, and these mutant angels were no different. :(
    Last edited by Orion5; 11-17-2012 at 12:43 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion5
    Keep in mind a vast majority of the fish we own have been inbred over hundreds of generations to produce more vibrant colors. Discus' natural color is black and muddy brown. Same with angelfish. Goldfish (carp) are brown, and their shapes aren't even the same as what we buy in the fish store.
    Very true. Yeah that's interesting actually. My parents' pond has had goldfish in it for 30 years. They aren't fed or "looked after" really, other than an annual "drag out" of all the overgrown weed. There used to be lots of orange and white fish and they bred a lot over the years. The heron was a regular visitor though and any brightly coloured fish were easy pickings. My folks thought the heron had got them all and after several years decided to reline the pond and make it a bit bigger (with the intention of re-stocking it). Upon draining the pond they found it still had fish in it...lots of them...but they were all BROWN! Natural selection in action...reverting back to originals over 30 years.

I found this fascinating.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I know were talking fish here but something firefly brought up about the goldfish reverting back, studies have shown that dogs left alone after a few generatins will begin to look like Wolfs again.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Firefly that's fascinating! What a great story. :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Firefly-- that's an awesome story! Did you happen to see them up close?? I wonder if they reverted to their original shape as well. It's not very different, just their bellies are ever so slightly more flat so they can scurry the bottom better, I guess. This is amazing! :)

@Steeler-- I've heard of this too. You can see it if you go to a city where there are a lot of wild dogs. Many are completely feral but have collars, meaning they belonged to someone not long before.

0 Not allowed!
    You might find this an interesting read if you're not familiar with it.
    Belyaev Temperament Breeding Experiment: https://www.americanscientist.org/is...ge=3&css=print

A summary of this is that foxes were (and still are being as the experiment continues to this day) selectively bred for 40 years. The selection process was temperament only. The submissive (domestic-potential-behaviours) foxes were bred together, and the aggressive (wild-potential-behaviours) foxes were bred together. Again, to reiterate...the only selection basis was temperament.

Look what happened to the docile ones.

A few developed floppy ears as well (more common in domesticated species).

I find this amazing. Genetic linking of behavioural traits and physical traits.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion5
    @Firefly-- that's an awesome story! Did you happen to see them up close?? I wonder if they reverted to their original shape as well. It's not very different, just their bellies are ever so slightly more flat so they can scurry the bottom better, I guess.
    The orange and white fish were "normal" shaped, so no, it was just the colour change really.

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Doesn't really do anything for me, but then I've never really been one of the pink girly girls types.

However, I do see the value in breeding and some experimentation with genetics. Being able to understand what kind of genetics are stable and which are not is quite valuable. Genetics experimentation has led to developments in better understanding diseases like Down Syndrome and Muscular Dystrophy type diseases.

I believe there is probably a long line of ethical debate when it comes to what is acceptable and what isn't.

For me.. I don't support modifications that are a detriment such as dogs that need help cleaning themselves, or deformed bodies that lead to health issues. I don't mind too much just coloration, since that would kind of make me a hypocrite... I find some of the apistos and rams bred to enhance coloration attractive. Orange goldfish don't bother me.. but the wonky eyeball ones do.