· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Your thoughts on genetically engineered pink angelfish

0 Not allowed!
    Taiwanese scientists have engineered these pink angelfish. Aside from your color preferences, what are your thoughts on genetic engineering new aquarium fish?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Orion5; 11-16-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling correction

0 Not allowed!
    Not really a fan as I look for natural looking tank set-ups. They do look frighteningly like dyed fish. I wouldn't know where to begin with the decor design to go with these little Frankensteins

An article on these fish said there was only a 1% success rate for this coloration. What happens to the 99% I wonder? Are they disposed of as "rejects"? This kind of thing, whilst the actual act of adding the colour to the eggs isn't harmful to the fish in itself, does raise ethical concerns about the byproducts of this industry. Who takes responsibility for all the unwanted ones?

0 Not allowed!
    I don't believe in messing with nature. There is a reason there weren't pink Angels before.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Personally I will never understand the attraction of fish like this or glofish for anyone over the age of 8, I think they are unnatural and ugly. I will never understand why people can't be happy with the natural colors of fish. But, colored fish has become a huge industry and as long as people keep buying them, other people will keep creating them. I don't like line breeding for color or other trait as well because it makes them look unnatural and weakens the fish. We have also turned this beautiful fish...

Into this

Give me wild caught fish in their natural colors and shapes any day over all of the genetic alterations, whether it's manipulating genes, or line breeding, makes no difference to me.. it's all ugly.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    An article on these fish said there was only a 1% success rate for this coloration.
    If that is true, No matter what ones personal feelings are wrt the result.. You couldn't call it an efficient process.

Research required but I am unlikely to support something so wasteful.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I'm really going to sound corny and old fashion but I think God created beautiful fish in a vast array of colors and man should just leave them alone and stop killing them shooting them full of dye sorry was not meant to offend anyone just my opinion ....
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

Default Fyi

0 Not allowed!
    I get your point but ... [If I understand the OP correctly] These are not dyed, They are colored via gene manipulation.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My mistake .. But I still think it is unnecessary and wrong ..But I guess I should have kept my opinion to myself...
    30 gal Freshwater

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    But I guess I should have kept my opinion to myself...
    Really? On a thread where opinions are being asked for? Relax

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Really? On a thread where opinions are being asked for? Relax
    I wasn't being sensitive just thinking I might be in over my head and would do well to listen and learn for now
    30 gal Freshwater