· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default 2 relatively common problems

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I have a few problems that are mostly solvable, but I gotta make sure:
    1. Weird algae. I would have waited this one out, but its been a month or 2, and I don't seem to get what it is. Imagine diatoms, but its white and if you scrape it away it instantaneously rebounds. Its only in one place, which just so happens to be the center of the front glass of the tank(of course.)

2. MTS. I hate these guys now and they are overtaking my tank.
    Would Yoyo loaches work in a 160-something(about 166) gallon tank with an Angelfish, 15 rummynose, 2 Pearl gouramis, 3 GBRs, plants, 10 bosemani rainbowfish(young ones, 3 inches) among other peaceful fish?
    Just making sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice or other wise words!
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure about problem 1. But problem 2 could be helped with assassin snails. They are very slow breeders so shouldn't replace one problem with another. I've had two in my tank for a year and there are only a handful of babies now.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its hard to say about the algae without seeing it, but at a guess I would say that you prob have some light hitting that part of the tank from somewhere. You would be surprised how far daylight can affect it. On one of my tanks its in the corner of a room and the only two windows are either across the entire room with high trees right outside it, or directly next to it on the wall its on. Neither of these look like they would allow direct light to hit, but i have rows of algae on that tank that perfectly match the blinds on both those windows. Look around the room and try and see if you can figure out where the direct light is coming from. A mirror maybe? Or reflecting off something else.

As far as the MTS, Clea Helena will work ok. They will help the problem but they cant solve it by themselves. Also if you get them make sure you get actual Helena. There are quite a few related varieties that look exactly the same, but they do not hunt in the same way, and some of them breed too much. The other varieties are more colorful than actual Helena. Real Helena the yellow is kind of dim. It isnt bright bright gold. When in doubt always check the latin name.

Personally I would go with Zebra Loach (Striated Botia). They dont get as big as clowns, IMO they are beautiful especially if you can get some with the strange puzzle piece patterns instead of straight lines, and mine seem to decimate MTS populations so fast its hard sometimes to feed my Helena. YoYos would prob be fine in that tank but there are two kinds commonly sold as yoyos. Make sure you get the smaller ones, not the ones usually marked Lohachata Botia. They can get big.

Even tho I did it, I would prob not recommend getting both the assassins and the loach. I am going to have to do something about mine pretty soon here, because the loach will eventually decide there is no difference between the whelks and a common snail. I ended up that way because I had to move the loaches into the tank with the assassins as an emergency fix for a bad situation, and I've been looking for somewhere else to move the Helena ever since. You might get away with it for a good while like I have, but it makes me nervous.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

0 Not allowed!
    I already have a handful or 2 assassin snails. Should I add more?

+ how do I get the shells out of the tank?!

About that daylight thing you are probably correct, during 2-3 PM daylight hits the tank..... And its only done that since the algae started. Too bad theres no solution to that. I'll try to snap a pic soon.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    ^Read

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yo Yo's usualy start out fine than as they get bigger they get more territorial and aggresive.

Nephalem gives good advice on the Zebra Loach or if you can afford them and find them get dwarf CHain Loach's.
    Last edited by steeler58; 11-11-2012 at 04:46 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Just wondering, cause I don't want to make a separate topic:
    How do you get rid of the shells the assassins leave behind? they are driving me nuts.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    Vacuum them up.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I am not aware of any algae that is white; however, some types of bacteria does form a 'white' film and needs to be wiped off the tank glass - a common problem with discus since they shed so much mucus and bacteria will consume that forming a layer on the glass. Use a towel to clean it off the glass once a week and that will keep it in check. Really, as long as fish are in the tank, this can occur.