· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    I think you having a bigger tank will help them be less jumpy. I'm sure they will be fine. Do a little more reading on them.

There are also several different silver's out there so everyone will have a different disposition.
    Have been reading like crazy - thanks! They were a bit of an impulsive buy but I had checked them out before both in the lfs and on line. Sweet fish. so far so good.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Whoa. 0 nitrate. that I did not know. Although the nitrites in this tank have remained very low - less than 5. Still he was always on the bottom so there certainly would have been a higher nitrate concentration there.
    thanks.
    I didn't know they were that sensitive either. Could of been something to do with the UGF that you have running, Cindy.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    I didn't know they were that sensitive either. Could of been something to do with the UGF that you have running, Cindy.
    Ahh...uhh. My thoughts exactly. Sorry to hear you lost a pleco, Cindy. I reaaly don't think it had anything to do with the measures you took to clean up the diatoms.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys ... I know you are all against UGFs and I will never discount anything the experts here on this forum suggest ... i'm just having trouble reconciling your experiences with the experiences of my LFS owner who has used nothing but UGfs combined with canisters with all of his many, many fish tanks for many many years. And his motive for selling me the ugf can't be money. he could have made a lot more money from me selling me 2 canisters over 1 canister + the Ugf.
    I added a HOB a month ago because of your concerns which became my concerns, yet I remain in a quandary. nitrates consistently run less than 5 in this tank. best of all my tanks so the idea of a complete tear down to remove the UGF is just daunting
    But I will definitely think about it ...
    thanks as always. I so appreciate your thoughts.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have been watching the tank a little closer. I think I might have a bully angel fish. NOT to the swimmers but to the pleco. He's been hanging around the filter intake tube where the pleco is hiding on the back. So maybe he's my culprit. Maybe that's why the emperor hid all the time and perhaps the angel got him?

I got a BN a few weeks ago and was upset because my angel was so mean to him. I was lucky because Angel just stocks him now but the point I'm trying to make is angel went after my BN big time none of the other fish but she would not leave him alone so it very well could be you have a very aggressive angel with a thing for Pleco. She would even take the algae wafers away from him...
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Have been watching the tank a little closer. I think I might have a bully angel fish. NOT to the swimmers but to the pleco. He's been hanging around the filter intake tube where the pleco is hiding on the back. So maybe he's my culprit. Maybe that's why the emperor hid all the time and perhaps the angel got him?

I got a BN a few weeks ago and was upset because my angel was so mean to him. I was lucky because Angel just stocks him now but the point I'm trying to make is angel went after my BN big time none of the other fish but she would not leave him alone so it very well could be you have a very aggressive angel with a thing for Pleco. She would even take the algae wafers away from him...
    thanks for that. I pretty much think that's what my situation was. I returned the royal to the LFS, just in case. Didn't want another dead pleco on my hands. As much as I love them, I don't want to put them at risk. And I love the angel so he's going to stay. Which means no plecos in the 90 :o(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    thanks guys ... I know you are all against UGFs and I will never discount anything the experts here on this forum suggest ... i'm just having trouble reconciling your experiences with the experiences of my LFS owner who has used nothing but UGfs combined with canisters with all of his many, many fish tanks for many many years. And his motive for selling me the ugf can't be money. he could have made a lot more money from me selling me 2 canisters over 1 canister + the Ugf.
    Don't wanna preach too much about this, because you're doing a fantastic job with your tanks, Cindy. Just wanna point out a couple of things to give you a little more idea about the UGFs.

Does your UGF have filter media? To my knowledge, none of them have any. They rely on the substrate to be your bio-filter.

Where does the bulk of the beneficial bacteria (bio-filter) live in your tank? In your filter media.

How much filter media is in a canister filter? Heaps of it. This is why a combination of a UGF and a canister appears to work so well... The canister is doing 99% of the work.

How do you maintain a UGF? Yep, you can vacuum the gravel, but what about the stuff that builds up UNDER the gravel and the plastic grid?

Never think that a LFS owner or worker is selling you something out of the goodness of his or her heart. It's all about profit most of the time. Just because a canister filter is $250, doesn't mean that the LFS is making more money on it. They could be selling those canisters for a 10% profit to stay competitive, and they could be making anything up to 200% or more profit on the UGFs, which they probably buy for 5 or 6 bucks - maybe less. AND there's a fair chance that you'll have to buy a pump, airline, airstones, or some kind of powerhead to run it. Plus, he or she has already sold you a UGF and a canister, and if you find out later that the UGF isn't any good, then you're going to go back and buy another filter. That's just more profit.

A lot of LFSs use the UGFs because they're cheap, there is less to see, and while they make the water look ok, they seem to believe that they require less cleaning. I don't think to many LFS owners or workers do weekly gravel vacuums, or pull the gravel and plastic grid of the UGF out of the tank each week to clean the tank properly.

That's how it works in most LFSs - I used to work in one.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    .....CINDY....there's a wicked echo around here..I just heard myself giving you advice about that UGF....funny thing is the echo came all the way from Australia..............yodelayhewhoooooooo..

oh Lord, I apologize.....I just couldn't help myself.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Escamosa and Taurus - I hear you both loud and clear (shades of Hiedi echoing through the Alps). But, and I realize it's a bit but (ahem) I can not fathom why, at this point, I would want to fix something that's not broken.
    The tank is healthy, the algae is no longer an issue, the nitrates run around 5 - 10. The thought of tearing the tank apart to remove the UGF is not only daunting but troubling to me.
    I'd have to net all the fish and put them - I don't know where. Bathtub? with a bubbler? Somehow get my humongous piece of anchored driftwood out of the tank (no easy feat because it took a village to get it in there, wedge the UGF grates out from under 90 pounds of gravel, which I'd probably also have to scoop out so I could make certain I got all the mulm out of the bottom, then reboot and HOPE I could achieve the same beautiful water and tank chemistry that I've got now. I can see it creating cloudy water for days. And I can see this project taking a solid day to complete. In the meantime ... the stress on my fish would bee horrific. Most likely, the little BP's would go back into hiding for another month LOL>
    So --- much as I appreciate this very good advice, until I see my water quality slipping, I'm not touching it. I'm going to also trust in my LFS person who has also had years and years of experience, keeps several tanks at his home with nothing but ugf and canisters and swears by this method of filtration.
    I'm using nothing but sponges and bioballs in the canister along with filter floss I've made myself from polyfiber fill. The hob also has the filter cartridge that came with it but when it falls apart, I'll replace it with fiber fill.

So - again, thanks guys. Respect ALL you have told me and taught me immensely but (there's that but again) I'm going to stay the course until, as I said, I see a degradation of my water quality.
    Smooches .... FM

0 Not allowed!
    Tearing out an UGF is a horrible job that essentially means a rebuilt. Not something to take lightly. If the water values are good (and the readings seems to support that) then I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that.

If I wanted to change away from an UGF I think I'd buy a cannister, set that running and after 2 months or so just disable the UGF and remove the bits that stick out, leave the rest in there. Then again I might be wrong.