· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default SpongeBob the Guinea Pig

0 Not allowed!
    My friend at work had to get rid of a guinea pig and my sister's neighbor wanted it, so i have to be the middle man to get it from here the whole way to them. My friend brought him in car to work yesterday an hour before i left (we are opposite shifts) and put him in my car for me so when i left i was all set. Today i take him to his new home. But while i had him i had to test everything to make sure he was suitable for a home with children.

Doesnt bite? Check. Healthy? He has severe hair loss but im told its from using newspaper shreddings instead of cedar. Otherwise, check! He is active but will stay still if hes in a lap? Check. Potty trained? Surprisingly check. He didnt go the whole hour i had him out this morning but ran to his corner when i put him back. He also is relatively still when picking him up/putting him down, so i think hes pretty much good to go!

Here's some pics i took of him during his short stay with me:

He only came with a 10gal tank! O.O So i had put him in here so he had more room. I later filled it with all his cedar. I didnt want to waste it but i was told they have some so its all good so now its bedded down.

My cat loves him. They are buds. Pigs are friends, not food! The dog doesnt understand this...

I couldnt resist the opportunity to have piggy back rides. XD
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He looks so cute! Your starting to have a mini zoo at your house, even if the guinea pig is a short term resident!

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be concerned about that hair loss and get a skin scrape test at the vet before letting him near your cat. He could easily be carrying mites or have a mange/scabies infection. Wash your hands very throroughly before and after handling him until you get this checked out by a professional.

That tank is no where near big enough in my opinion. Guinea pigs require excellent ventilation (which you won't get in a glass tank - a large cage/hutch is better) and plenty of access to fresh grass, hay (very important in the absence of grass) and a variety of foods. Fresh vegetables are a must as guinea pigs cannot manufacture their own Vitamin C - they must have fresh veggies daily.

Get some large tubes for him to hide in. Guineas are shy and skittish (especially if kept alone) and will thank you for lots of cover and hidey holes. Could you get him some company? Is he neutered?

I used to feed mine apple slices, carrot, cabbage leaves, grapes, apple wood (branches from apple trees - they eat the bark off them), hay, fresh grass, dandelion leaves, as well as a complete food for guinea pigs.

I hope this information helps He's very cute.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know everything u said firefly, i used to have guinea pigs. But like i said, i only had him for two days. His old owner left him in a poor empty 10gal tank for his entire life, i decided to put him in my 36gal for the two days he was here so it was at least bigger, but i still kno he needs a lot more space. My sister's neighbor has a very large flat cage ready and my sister's experience will help them with knowing what to do with him otherwise (the tubes and house and veggies. When he was with me he was eating celery and carrots because the owner gave me barely enough food to feed him for one day. :(

I miss Sponge Bob already. He was a nice guinea pig. I tried hinting at my grandma that i could keep his 10gal and hook up my giant 5 story hamster paradise and get a beautiful calico hamster i saw in store... I was shot down, crashed, and burned. She says we are not a zoo and she only let me have guinea pig those two days because she knew he would be gone soon and she didnt have to deal with him. Someday im sure i can convince her. Hamsters are so low maintenance i really dont see why not...

Also the hair loss is from chemicals in the newspaper shreddings they were using. They had him checked out for that, so hes safe with my cat. Thanks for your concern tho!
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Remember that wheels are not substitutes for a suitably sized enclosure... especially for guinea pigs. Their spines do not bend that way like hamsters and other rodents.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    He's pretty cute! I hope he does well in his new home and his hair grows back.

Nice of you to arrange for transport!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    The cat looks quite unimpressed about having the pig hitch a ride on him!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yup. he just loooved it. lol jk. at least he didnt jump and throw the pig off.

my sister says that Spongebob is really enjoying his new home. Im told he now has a large appropriate guinea pig cage, a bigger food dish, proper bedding, a house, and he seems to love the neighbors kids as they let him roam house all the time. Sounds like a little piggy heaven. :) She also told them to get vitamin supplements for his water and yogurt drops and give him carrots and lettuce. I hope she remembered that it cant be iceberg... Better call her about that.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    He could of won a car if he had of been able to hang on for 8 seconds!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    :( He only made it like 6. So close! Lol.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything