· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default API Stress Coat+ causes bacteria bloom?

0 Not allowed!
    I had what is to me an odd occurence this morning.

Going back to last evening, one of my barbs had his tail fin tore up a bit so I thought it might be a good idea to add some Stress Coat+ to my 20G. I added two capfulls as the instructions said to double dose for reparing fin damage. I did not perform a water change.

Fast forward to this morning... for the morning feeding I noticed the fish were a bit sluggish and slow to respond to their food. The barbs are usually pretty voracious and very active in the morning. Then I notice the water is hazy/cloudy, telling me of a possible bacteria bloom? Then, after they are done eating I also notice that most of the fish are hanging out at the surface of the water, telling me that the oxygen level dropped in the tank. I turned on the venturi aerator on my Fluval U2 and had to head out to work. My wife emailed and said the fish are now acting normal, but the water is still cloudy.

So, are all these events related? To me, it seems like the Stress Coat+ caused a bacteria bloom which then caused a loss in oxygen in the water somehow. Doesn't make all too much sense to me because I thought bacteria consume CO2, or maybe I have it backwards. This was my first time adding Stress Coat+ without doing a water change. I've never had issues like this when using it during a water change, but that kind of makes sense because the agitation from a water change would introduce a lot of oxygen into the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you check your water parameters before adding the Stress Coat?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, I did not. There has been nothing out of the ordinary for my tank except for the addition of the Stress Coat due to the fin damage on the one barb. I do 75%-80 water changes on the weekend and add one capful of Stress Coat+ at that time. Other than that, nothing has changed. Water temp is the same as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you do anything to your filter? How often do you run the aerator? I assume there is usually enough water circulation in the tank to provide oxygen.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The aerator is on for most of the day and only turned off when my son takes naps and during the night. This has always been sufficient and the water has been well oxygenated and the fish have never hung out at the surface like that. The top nozzle of the U2 also provides surface agitation. Just a little mysterious that this would happen after adding the Stress Coat like that. I thought it could be used as a treatment to help with healing fin damage and not just for water conditioning when doing changes.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Won't it be just the slime coat from the stress coat? Sometimes it would stick onto the glass so your tank might look hazy because of that.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    How long has the tank been stocked for, and is the tank cycled?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    Won't it be just the slime coat from the stress coat? Sometimes it would stick onto the glass so your tank might look hazy because of that.
    I noticed there was a film on the glass and was able to remove some with my magnet thing, but the water itself is also cloudy. Also, this doesn't explain why the fish were sluggish this morning and hanging out on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    How long has the tank been stocked for, and is the tank cycled?
    Tank is well-established and cycled since early this year.

Wife has said the fish are acting normal but water is still cloudy. I'll have to do a full water test when I get home tonight. Really unsure what caused it but at this point the only thing that has changed is the addition of the SC+ last night.

0 Not allowed!
    I stopped using Stress Coat for precisely this reason. Though many use it and like it, on my tanks every single time I used it, it would haze the water for days, and fish became sluggish.

Though there may be other issues, for starters, i would do water changes to remove it.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    I do not like any products with slime coat in it. I used Stress Zyme for a brief period and had slime on everything like it was coated. I had to wonder how much of that slime was covering my filter media and was it preventing bacteria to grow. I would switch to Prime and get away from that other product. Not only that, but it takes far less of the Prime to do the job.