Thread: Best way to sterilze used heater
11-15-2012, 10:16 PM #1
Best way to sterilze used heater
What's the best way to make sure a used heater doesn't transfer any undesirables into a new tank?
11-15-2012, 10:32 PM #2
scrub it with a brush
rinse it in a diluted bleach solution
rinse again in clean water
ready to go!
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM #3
Right on! Thanks
Does it matter how diluted? 1 part bleach/1 part water? 1 part bleach/2 parts water...?
11-15-2012, 11:33 PM #4
19 parts water to 1 part bleach. Rinse with clean water until you smell no bleach on heater at all.><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º>
NEW MEMBERS LOOK HERE:
My Tank Channel:
11-16-2012, 01:42 AM #5
11-16-2012, 11:27 AM #6
what jeffsdime said will work great.
and Hobbs, I could see why you would want to sterilize it.
i have a 50watt in my QT right now and come winter when it gets super duper cold. i'd like an extra heater in my main tank to help with the heat distribution, so ill clean that heater to make sure nothing gross is on it that could hurt my healthy fish.
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM #7
Just make sure you thoroughly soak it in water for several hours after using bleach. Use plenty of decholrinator in the soak.
I'd opt for vinegar rather than bleach - it's sterilising properties are almost as good, but it's far safer to use around aquarium equipment. I believe it also won't degrade water-tight seals (which bleach can do on electrical equipment).
11-16-2012, 03:56 PM #8
I just scrub it with a clean sponge, let dry for a week and reuse. never had problems with my heater transferring anything bad. I avoid using bleach whenever I can.Thar she blows!!!
11-16-2012, 11:12 PM #9
I like the idea of using vinegar instead of bleach. It'll be much less diluted than if I used bleach but, yea, I'll scrub it, soak it in maybe 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar water, then let it soak in dechlorinated water overnight. It's been unused and dried out for quite a while (6 months at least, I'd say) so I don't think I'd need to let it dry out again after the above treatment is complete. Unless there's something specific about that suggestion that I don't know about ...?
11-16-2012, 11:14 PM #10
If it's been dry for 6 months you'll probably be fine if you just give it a wash in water.