· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Using old (cycled) bio media in brand new filter?

0 Not allowed!
    If I'm setting up a brand new tank, will taking some bio from my old established tank "instantly" (or almost) cycle the new tank? If not, how much sooner will the new tank be cycled and ready for the transfer of my puffer?

The new tank has been running since this Tuesday with the established bio media in the new filter (which is built into the new tank). The filter is set up to where the end of the tank is split in half, one half (about two thirds of the width of the tank) is simply a large sponge with holes cut in it for the carbon and the bio. I just filled both holes with cycled bio media, and the other half is the overflow with the pump. I also transferred substrate from the established tank as well as some of the plants and the bubble stone and it's been running since Tuesday with no cloudiness at all. I thought the bloom would happen by now, but since the water's been crystal clear I wonder if it's ready to go.

I asked a similar question earlier but it was tucked in with a few other questions and wanted to touch on this more specifically (sorry if it looks like I'm re-hashing, thanks to some greenery, which I no longer partake in, my brain takes a bit longer for things to sink and settle in)

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you can absolutely do this.

But I need to know: Is the media going to have the same bio load?

And: If there has been no ammonia source in the tank where the old bioedia has been sitting for two days your BB colony has not had a food source.

If the stock is the same [Same bioload as mentioned above] move the fish now, Before you reply here. - Seriously.

Better timing would have been to move the stock and filter at the same time but do it as soon as possible.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man, that makes so much sense. No, the bioload will be vastly different, actually. I'm using the bio media from a 60 gallon tank that houses two goldfish (6 inches and 4 inches) 22 white clouds, and 6 kuhli loaches. I'm using this media to cycle my new 5 gallon tank which will only house a dwarf puffer. So I'm essentially killing the BB by not giving it any ammonia to munch on... I'm at work so I can't transfer the little guy over yet, but are you thinking I should get him in there ASAP still even with the bio load being vastly different?

Thanks for the help!
    BTW, love the avatar... Big Jake is my hero!

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Since the bio-load is much smaller you should be fine even with the two days the bacteria has been without food. But, keep in mind, a newly cycled tank is not a mature tank, and you still need to watch the parameters closely and clean gently for a while until the tank matures.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thumbs up Yep, Exactly right about the ammonia munching

0 Not allowed!
    What she said.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again for the replies!

To break it down into bite size chunks I will: Test the water and if all looks OK transfer my puffer to his new tank ASAP. (If there's something amiss I think I'll just transfer the bio back to it's old filter and leave the biobag that came with new filter sitting in the established filter until IT can get what's needed to be ready for the new tank)

Probably test daily to make sure all is stable while doing frequent (maybe every other day?) partial water changes (like say, 20%)?

Do this for a couple weeks?

Yay or nay to that plan?
    Cheers!

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Test the water a couple times a day for a week or two and if needed change enough water to keep parameters within safer levels. You may not have to deal with any spikes in ammonia or nitrite so weekly water changes might be enough, just test and be ready to change water as needed.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feel like this next question could really make me look stupid. Say I wasn't quite ready to move my puffer over yet, would putting flake food in the tank supply the BB enough to keep active until I was confident my tank was ready to go?

I don't have quite all my ducks in a row to make the tank fully ready (heater mainly, I asked about it in another thread) so if I needed more time would that help at all?

You both have been super helpful, hats off to you! (I'm wearing a fedora so instead of using the emoticon, I'm really giving you a "hats off" that looks quite a bit more authentic than little yellow-face man)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just put the media back into the filter on the bigger tank until you are ready to put the puffer in his tank?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    See! I told you my brain doesn't always work to it's fullest capacity... Because that would be waaaay to easy and make waaaaaayyyy too much sense

Bless you and you're common sense