· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my garra doesn't have a strong current and doesn't seem to mind, but I also wont sit here and pretend that I have a perfect setup for him. I don't believe it is as important for them as for the hillstreams tho. reticulated hillstreams and tweedie loach are shaped the way they are specifically because they live in fast rivers and spend their lives hopping up waterfalls. Garra did not develop the same genetic tools so they would prob be just fine in your tank. We only bought the one we have as a test to see if it would work ok in our loach tank, and we ended up liking him so much that we are going back some time in the next week or two and getting three more or so.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to see if my lfs can get the panda garra in, online they are like $25, but if the store can get them cheaper I may be in for a few. I like the corys and figure they will eat any food the other fish eat (plus I will be feeding them there own tablets)

I have a few good fish to look into today :) along with looking into how to make my male dg one happy guy lol. He definitely is the boss of the tank
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hillstreams will die unless they have loads of oxygen in fast flowing water !
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    +1 Kevin makes a good point, the Otto's will eat the strains of algae the pleco's won't touch.
    +1 also.

I agree with what most people said in that you must ensure you get something you like...and not to use them instead of cleaning the tank yourself, but in all honesty, if I didn't have algae issues I would not have purchased otos. I just couldn't shift a brown algae outbreak off my plants without damaging them. Otos have cured it and I've not had algae issues (or even cleaned the glass!) since getting them.

I bought a school of 11 and have only lost 1 (that I'm aware of). Sweet little things, although they do like to hide! I like them a lot.

0 Not allowed!
    So far I'm definitely leaning otos, 1 more concern I would have is feeding them. I understand when you first get them they will only eat algae... well if i get 6 of them, they will quickly clean out my tank, is there a way to either encourage algae growth or particular veggie they like to eat.

1. I don't have room for a algae farm (and outside it would freeze)
    2. How often would they need that veggie to supplement there food source
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ottos are small peaceful community fish that would do wonders eating algae.

Rubber Lip and Clown Plecos only get to be 4" and they have not done much for my algae cleanup.

There are a number of algae eater fish:

Chinese and Golden Alage Eaters get a foot long and stop eating algae after a while.

Siamese Algae Eater is only 5 inches and eats a lot of good algae.

Flying Fox will grow to 4" and may stop eating algae in adulthood.

Certain Shimp - ghost Shrimp and Amano Shrimp can also help maintain.

Hope it helps...my 2 cents
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    There are several ways to stimulate algae growth, if that's really what you want to do. More light/direct sunlight/over fertilization/more waste. lol

I actually have a steady growth of algae in my planted 10gal - I could clean it up, but I let it grow for my algae eaters. I have 4 otos and 3 snails that go to town in there. A seemingly endless supply. ;] It started out with direct sunlight without the tank being planted. At this point, it was light growth. Then I moved to planted and changed to sand substrate w/ driftwood + one 10,000k bulb. That's when I saw algae growth like crazy.

I have since switched to two 6,500k bulbs and while I still have algae, I'm leaving it alone.

That being said, I'd never recommend anyone doing any of the things I just mentioned, because wanting algae in your tank is just plain silly. ;P

Though, it does provide a cheap alternative to buying algae tablets.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    HAHA true, but how much you spend on those lights ;)

I just don't want the poor otos to starve. I plan to pick up algae waffers and maybe a zuc when I get them
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    The bulbs weren't too bad. You can get 2 x 18w T5s (any spectrum) for $12 + $8 s/h.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    I just can't wait to have this tank fully stocked. Just talked to one LFS and they said they can't order any female DG, however, they do get assortments in time to time that will have a female or two.

So got that taken care of, the dwarf cory's I know I can find them.

And I'm hoping to be able to pick up the otos at some point soon

Then in like jan or feb I may be on here asking if GBR pair would do ok in that community set up lol
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread