· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another vote for otos. They clean glass very well, and if you provide supplemental food and acclimate slowly when you bring them home, they will be fine. I have six, only lost one. They do need a school.

That said, they are reputed to be tricky. But that doesn't mean they won't work.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    Whatever I end up with be be acclimated via the drip acclimation (thank you AC)

That being said, my options are otos, whiptail catfish (pleco), or rubber lipped (even though he gets a bit larger than I would like), any other recommendations?

0 Not allowed!
    Two more to add... anyone have either of these? How are they? And what is a typical $$ on them

Gold Nugget
    L340 - can't find much info, but looks like they prefer meat diet and wouldn't eat any algae (unless anyone has had different results)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Down here in Missouri-a gold nugget pleco runs about 50-70bucks.

really cool looking fish, but not ready to spend that much for one fish. (especially since it was at petco)

the rubberlip should be fine in a 55-it gets 7inches? and that'll work in your set up.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With all due respect to Miz (and I do respect you based on many other posts I have participated in with you) I just don't agree. DGs are very easy to sex as it sounds like you know. Also there are a fair number of algae eaters that can and will make a reasonable dent on your algae.

Now, that said yes even with female DGs you will likely have issues later on. They won't be as bad as with males but particularly during courtship it is normal for the females to pick one that is the least worthy breeder and terrorize her relentlessly. If you want a community of gourami I would try a different species like for instance thick lipped gourami. I have a community of 4 (1m/3f) and they all get along very well after the first week of working out the pecking order. When they spawn they even all spawn together. It's a party.

As for the algae eater, we have a green phantom plec (L200 hi-fin) in our 55g and he took the wall from so covered you couldn't see through it to almost completely clean in a single night. Now he does end up fairly large, but not monster big. Also with them you have to remember they have a huge bioload so I have traded clean walls for substrate covered in pleco poo and as a result am vaciuming more often by far than I ever cleaned the glass. But I like him which is the main point so he is worth it.

If plecs aren't your cop-o-tea I have also found Garra to be particularly effective at algae removal. We have a panda Garra and he not only stays small but is also much more active than most plecs and gets along well with our loaches as they are closely related. We love him.

There are also many snails you could try tho they aren't usually as effective at cleaning a large space as plecs or garra. Merited are attractive and only eat algae so they do not become pests. Japanese trapdoors are my personal favorite but thy gt pretty big and are very slow even for a snail. They also spend long periods dormant.

Anyway there are plenty of options. You just have to consider the trade offs and that the entire point is to appreciate them as an animal not just a tank cleaner. But it sounds like you are already doing a good job of that so you are doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Nephalem; 11-15-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Disagree away-its a discussion on this topic! I'm open to it and you are respectful about it-so not a worry.

I do agree that the sexing wouldn't be an issue if/when you had the appropriate fish.
    I was more commenting on the lines of that its tough to tell one sex from the other when they are juvenile fish. And that it can will be an issue if end up with the wrong sexes on these fish. That is what I was going for. I'm all for people who want to breed/calm aggression w/ male/female ratios-it just is a gamble on certain fish and you can find out the hard way if you are wrong.

I sadly forgot about snails
    they tend to do a good job with cleaning stuff up too.

but I would like to reiterate that point you made: appreciate the fish because you enjoy it, don't get it to do a "job" (that is the target of all my posts :) )

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed.

Btw as I'm sure you all figured that word up there was supposed to be "nerites" not "merited"... Stupid auto correct.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

0 Not allowed!
    I like the panda garra, looks awesome, only concern would be similar to the hillstream loach, does the garra need a fast curent? I have two filters that move the water well as well as a bubble wall for more air...

Would it be better to have a m/f ratio of 1:1 for the dg? I don't plan to breed. Just like the females too lol

And im glad we are able to have a peaceful debate without ppl getting all upset. I am liking some of the ideas so far. I love pleco type fish, but hate the bio load. Love the hillstream and really like the garra from some quick research I did

0 Not allowed!
    My vote's for a school of Otos! I love these little guys and they're diligent workers. They eat algae all day and night - they love the stuff. They also eat it anywhere - glass, wood, plants (leaves/stems), substrate - doesn't matter, they'll eat it.

Not only that, but they're extremely peaceful and pretty damn cute.

I have 4 in my 10gal. Had 5, but 1 died after a day (was sick with ick). These 4 have done extremely well. Alone, they'll be pretty elusive, but adding 3-4 more will make them much more comfortable and confident.

As for plecos... there are some species that will eat a good amount of algae, like Bristlenose, and many others that won't. A lot of people think that all plecos will eat algae, so they'll be disappointed that when they purchase them, they won't touch the stuff. That's an example supportive of andreahp's argument about not buying a fish merely to eat algae (or solve a problem in the tank).
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 Kevin makes a good point, the Otto's will eat the strains of algae the pleco's won't touch.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep