· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default LFS Mentioned these to me, what are your opinions

0 Not allowed!
    Looking for a smaller fish that will eat algae (I don't have anything major) but I have always liked plecos etc. I will supplement with algae waffers. Had wanted pitbull pleco, but they are seeming hard to find, impossible locally. Reason I leaned that way was since they eat algae, hardier than otos, and didn't destroy wood.

I understand some eat wood, but is it going to just be a little, or will my piece of driftwood disappear quickly?

LFS recommended:
    Reticulated Hillstream Loach: I like it, stays small, only concern is that I don't have a fast current... (also, do they need to school?)

Whiptail Cats: 4.7" max - anyone with experience or info on these guys?

Rhino / Clown Pleco - don't really care for both, rhino too big, and clown really doesn't eat algae

0 Not allowed!
    Please - only buy a fish you like - not to eat algae - it's up to the tank owner to clean algae and determine what is causing it in the 1st place so it doesn't continue growing. Yes, loaches need a group and some plecos grow very large.

I think what you are looking to add to your tank (what I see in your signature) will be overstocking it if you get everything listed there, plus I don't know how compatible the gouramis are going to be with what you already have in there - corys are fine as long as you get a group
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I don't plan to get a fish just to clean algae, needs to be something I like, but would just like one that will occasionally nibble on the stuff growing on the tank decor.

The mickey mouse platys #s are high b/c 16 of them are fry (less than 1/2"). Once they start getting larger I plan to pick about 10 of them to keep and send the rest to a friend / LFS

The male DG has been good with everyone so far, kinda plays the grampa of the tank, when the little ones go in what we call his cave, even if he isn't in it, he swims over and sits in the cave. Doesn't bother the little ones just "this is my cave, get your own" - in grumbly old granmpa voice lol

0 Not allowed!
    Aqadvisor image using the pitbulls (however those are what I am looking to replace)
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    I dont' use aquadvisor - there are some on the forum who don't like using it because it doesn't advise about compatibility - I question about having several gouramis in a community tank as they grow larger (considering aggression and/or breeding behavior).

My understanding of plecos is that they need wood for digestion purposes - I don't know how much they actually eat though.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    **Dwarf Gourami :) typically max size 2-3". And I know multiple males is a no go

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know much about the whiptails, but they sure do look cool. I have been thinking about trying them myself. As far as the reticulated, I don't think they are as group dependent as other loaches, but they really do need a fast current. Also another kind much like them that i really like are the Tweedies loach. They look like little birds. As far as the play goes eating the wood, it is not enough that you will ever notice. They merely needed to aid digestion, and they eat the microfilm that grows on it. But it's not enough that you will notice anything missing.
    Last edited by Nephalem; 11-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Please - only buy a fish you like - not to eat algae - it's up to the tank owner to clean algae and determine what is causing it in the 1st place so it doesn't continue growing.

+1 to this over and over again.

Your one DG may be fine, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 in that tank, and ONLY 2 if you have it heavily planted/sectioned off for each get their own area.
    It is how those fish are-they need area to have as their own and other gourami's invading it-they will kill each other.
    Gourami's offer no resistance to the tetras/smaller fish because they get out of the way when needed.

algae is in the tank due to an incorrect balance of your set up-ferts/lights/food/ will cause algae.
    if you never fix this issue, it'll never go away

all my fish peck at the algae every once in a while in my tank, but never eat it steadily.

question for the drift wood-they munch on it. but nothing more.
    i've had my pieces of wood in the tank for near a year, and you can't even tell if the pleco has ate stuff or not-it would take decades for a pleco to eat that much. lol. they need the wood for nutritional/digestive purposes.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Andrea about aquadvisor, I don't use it either, you realy need to reasearch the different fish youself.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    How about some otto's that will eat the algae off everything? Pleco's will not eat algae off plant leaves and they need to be fed more than algae pellets.