· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ever used one of these filters?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone!

Have you ever used one of these vintage LongLife aquarium filters?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does this one run off a seperate air pump? Looks allot like an old filter I used to use from Supreme. Only from what I can see it must be a little later model as this does not have the manual filter primer (it was this fun thing where you had to put your thumb over the intake tube and dip the tube in the tank realease the air then put your thumb back over the tube. You then quickly had to place the tube back in the filter without losing the siphon. If you where good it took only a couple tries but if not it could take a half hour ). I cant see but it looks like this model you just dump your carbon and floss etc in layers?) Let me guess late 70's to early 80's am I close?

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like those small corner filters used in smaller tank that run off an air pump. I actually like them much more than a sponge filter. Lee's corner filter, I think they're called.

Tried to post a photo but my stupid browser won't let me. *sigh
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-15-2012 at 04:17 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah the early HOB's where the same principal. One I had was a airstone in the bottom you loaded the filter same as in the one in your picture the pressure would force the water to flow back into the tank. You know I tryed looking up this filter, didn't find it but got a kick out of a old steel/glass aquarium up for auction was at like $150.00 dollars.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion5
    Hey everyone!

Curious has the box been opened? Can you get more pictures of it? Is Longlife the only manufacture listed on the box as well as model?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion5
    Hey everyone!
    Yes, but the universe was younger when I used them.
    The most important thing was keeping the intake siphons away from any air stone or ornament. Filter material was filter floss or filter floss pads and a bag of carbon.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is a HOB filter that works with only an airstone. :) So I think HawkerW you were right. The airstone "pumps" the water into the canister and very gently sends the water back on those two little grooves you see on each side. I'm talking with someone who has one of these for sale, so I haven't received it yet. I'll be sure to send along pictures once I do.

Apparently they really didn't work very well, and the corner box filter still had much better flow than this model did. But I do believe that this was the precursor to the motorized HOB filter. Early 1970s I believe.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Memories from the good old days. Like I mentioned earlier did you ever try one with a manual syphon that required your thumb? Cleaning the filter was nothing it was getting it started again.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, that one is a mystery to me.... Do you have a picture of it by any chance, or a link? I'd be really interested in checking it out! :)

HawkerW: If I can finally get the filter, I'll be sure to send pictures. :)
    Last edited by Orion5; 11-17-2012 at 11:19 PM.