· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How Often To Feed

0 Not allowed!
    I know this may seem like a basic question, but I was wondering how often should I be feeding my fish. I use flake food and sometimes frozen blood worms.
    55 Gallon community tank that is probably a bit overstocked....dont judge me

0 Not allowed!
    Many forum members feed their fish once daily, some skip one day a week and feed blood worms or shrimp once a week for a treat.

If you have baby fish, they need to be fed more than that because their stomachs can't handle larger feedings.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I tend to feed twice a day for the main fish stock (only what they eat in about 30 seconds in each feeding) and throw in a couple of sinking catfish wafers just before the lights go out at night.

Just as a side note: I've always been very careful not to overfeed, but recently my planted tank has had phosphate deficiency problems so I have started feeding more frozen foods (and putting a bit more in than I'm really comfortable with) - and it seems to have done the trick. Phosphates are back up to the aimed for levels.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Many forum members feed their fish once daily, some skip one day a week and feed blood worms or shrimp once a week for a treat.

If you have baby fish, they need to be fed more than that because their stomachs can't handle larger feedings.
    Thanks, I have been feeding every other day but read where you should do small feedings 3 times a day (seemed a bit suspect so I figured I would ask).

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well with what firefly just shared, I guess it is not a bad plan.

0 Not allowed!
    Like firefly I feed twice daily in SMALL amounts, Literally no more than they can eat in two minutes and then wafers after lights out also.
    There are a few other aspects to their overall diet [Live - frozen - fresh, All at intervals]
    I fast them one day a week also on the day before I do WC.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-14-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Testing your water regularly is important if you change your feeding routine. Because I've recently increased the food I put in my tank I'm testing for nitrates twice a week at the moment. Also, because of the plant issue - phosphates.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I usually test about 2 to three times a week. Water is fine so I may mess around with the feeding patterns ensuring that I watch my levels. Thanks all for the insight.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    I fast them one day a week also on the day before I do WC.
    Interesting, why the fast the day before you complete WC?

Something else I wondered, do you guys feed from the same spot?

Only time I open the lid on my tank is to feed or vacuum gravel (pwc are completed in a different section). I feed my fish from the same area, and when I just open the lid they all swarm to that area regardless of time. It's quiet amusing to watch. Often they don't even give me time to pour in the food and their already striking the water surface as if trying to be the first one to get food.

There's also always a solo fish (not the same one all the time) that stays more towards the bottom-mid section just waiting for the food the others miss.

This last week I fed them live mosquito larvae, they went nuts over those. It was fun to watch the larvae that survived the initial onslaught try and get to the top to get air. Never failed, one of my fish would spot it and devour it. Great show for my kids.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project