· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Newbie substrate questions......?

0 Not allowed!
    I have about 8 to 10 inches deep I need to fill up with substrate, I understand the compression an suffication of plants but what I think I should do is put 1 to 3 inches of thick "driveway" rock to allow them to breath, my question is how deep is too deep for dirt substrate, and what last the longest? I am thinking about using can you put her but I don't know how much nutrients that has? what is the most effective in cheapest long lasting substrate for plants, and I am having community tropical fish in the tank as well
    150 gal. (1 black fin Pacu) Modified API Nexx modular filterX3+ a 1 litter bottle Moving Bed filter w/straws + DIY UFAS+ modified PowerHead to an aerated bacteria filter.
    90 gal. (2 black fin Pacu) (1 red fin Pacu)Modified API modular nexx filterX3 + modified PwerHead to a biological aerated filter + 500gph aerated powerhead.
    26 gal. Planted (6mollies) (12platty wags) (1 Bristol nose placo) (4cory cats) (1clown loach) (betta)
    20gal sump project for the 150 or 90

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I ment to type kitty litter
    150 gal. (1 black fin Pacu) Modified API Nexx modular filterX3+ a 1 litter bottle Moving Bed filter w/straws + DIY UFAS+ modified PowerHead to an aerated bacteria filter.
    90 gal. (2 black fin Pacu) (1 red fin Pacu)Modified API modular nexx filterX3 + modified PwerHead to a biological aerated filter + 500gph aerated powerhead.
    26 gal. Planted (6mollies) (12platty wags) (1 Bristol nose placo) (4cory cats) (1clown loach) (betta)

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanofreshysalty
    I have about 8 to 10 inches deep I need to fill up with substrate,
    Why?

I am having a difficult time making sense of your post, Pictures would probably be really helpful here to help clarify what you are working with and what you are asking..

EDIT: And the second post is not helping any.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do apologize it's about 3 a.m. over were I am at right now and ive been working on my tank all night, but I have a marinland lobster tank that ive been desperately trying to get some input on, I'm converting into a freshwater community tropical and I have about 8 to 10 inches of room to put gravel/fertilizer in an I have been doing some research on substrate and how it can pack up at the bottom if too much is used, sufficating the plants if you put a lot of substrate/fertilizer, and I cannot put up pictures because all I have is my phone and it will not allow me to, but I believe I have a model ML-22 110 gal and how it works is it uses air pumps to circulate the water and the bed of the tank is a filter, so basically I have to fill up this 10 inches of substrate gravel whatever you wanna call it but that is a lot of dirt and I don't want to do it wrong I wanna do it the right way the first time, so my main question is for 10 inches deep or room what should I do for substrate? and at the very bottom of the substrate there is a plastic mesh that I will probably have to reinforce because of the wait that is raised above the refrigeration rings.... if you can picture any of this? basically from the bottom of the tank up, bottom of the tank rings for the refrigeration system that I probably will never use, and then small 1 inch shelves to hold in the filter rocks for the bottom, basically there are about 8th inch thick plastic
    pieces that hold the gravel above the refrigeration system, and each the bottom and the top plastic pieces are different sizes, and I only have the bottom piece so it's basically the
    smallest piece and the lowest piece just about the refrigeration system, basically I wanna know what should I do for 10 inch substrate and I have some room underneath the bottom rack that I am going to put some DIY air stones( aquarium hose with small holes in them) to feed the plants and fish, and eventually put a DI y Co2 system in, and if I have a lot of room for the roots to grow for my plants will they grow a lot bigger and better?

0 Not allowed!
    For planted tanks, substrate is only 3" deep. Sand or gravel substrate less. I don't know why you'd want anything 8-10 inches deep. I would think an inch of sand should be fine for a lobster.

As for anything else.......? Haven't a clue what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-14-2012 at 10:06 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You really need to go and learn some punctuation mate as that is really hard to read, let alone try to understand it!
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about that lol I have this marinland commercial lobster tank an I am trying to make it into a tropical freshwater tank, im trying to understand how thick is too thick for substrate, I'm very determined to make this tank work and happened because I cant find a tank like this or anyone that has tried to do this, and once I have everything laid out and I know what I'm going to do I'm going to make a video

0 Not allowed!
    if you can picture any of this?
    No, Not really.

I'm going to make a video
    Making one now would go far towards us having a better picture of what your taking on.
    I have this marinland commercial lobster tank an I am trying to make it into a tropical freshwater tank, im trying to understand how thick is too thick for substrate,
    Hobbs already answered this.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Lady Hobbs just told you how deep too deep is. Furthermore, why would you want an 8-10" bed of substrate? It would be a nightmare trying to keep that clean. Did you read about that method somewhere else?

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - you don't have to make this so complicated for yourself - substrate should be deep enough to hold plants down (a few inches at most - that's what I have) but shallow enough to allow easy cleaning on the bottom.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in