· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 10 gallon barb tank help

0 Not allowed!
    hello guys im moving my 2 cichlids and a small oscar to my new 120 gallon tank and have the 10 gallon left over, i want to make a barb tank, what are good numbers and species of barbs to put together and co exist healthy and happy. thanks :)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez, your oscar must be loving the 120, a 10G is like solitary confinement for an oscar

I don't think there's a lot of barb species you can keep in a 10G, I can only think of cherry barbs, you might manage 8 cherries in a 10G
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Best type of barb to keep in a tank that small would be Cherry Barbs. They aren't aggressive and they stay small. Most barbs don't fit that. There are a handful of medium sized barbs that are a little big for a 10 gallon, like Tiger Barbs. And they get fairly aggressively.

Speaking from experience I would suggest getting the smallest fish possible for a 10 gallon, so that you don't have to upgrade later. 1.5 inches or less preferably. Harlequin Rasboras, Glowlight Tetras, Neon Tetras, or smaller micro-Rasboras or tiny tetras like Ember Tetras if you can find them. Those are the few fish that would allow you to get a good amount of them in such a small tank. One thing I have learned about small tanks is they are boring if they don't have a decent amount of fish in them.
    Last edited by Zander; 11-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I keep cherry barbs and I wouldn't keep them in a 10gallon. They are shy, enjoy larger numbers and heavy planting to feel safe - I'm not sure you could provide them with that and give them enough space in a 10g.

Why don't you consider some of the smaller tetras instead? Or keep a large school of micro rasboras?

You might also consider shrimp which are different and interesting to keep.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the responses, the only reason im running the 10 and not a 29 gallon is that i invested a ton in the set up of the 120 gallon tank, i want to make somthing small for my nephew so when he comes over he can look at it cause he loves fish, what is the life span/ habits and eating habits of neon tetras, and would the be small enough for a school of 10?

0 Not allowed!
    I should think neons would do fine in it, especially if you plant the tank.

You could also look at harlequin rasboras. Great little fish.

0 Not allowed!
    You could easily have 10-12 neons in a 10gal - they are small and colorful - however, you would need to make sure the tank is cycled first because they tend to be sensitive and need good water parameters.

I agree that cherry barbs wouldn't be good for a tank that size - I have several myself and they don't stay as small as neons do.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I have 12 neons in a 10 gallon tank, and its perfect! Neons are cute, lively, and after a while feeding time becomes the Piranha tank! They are shy at first, but once accustomed to who brings the food, mine tend to come to the front of the tank if I come by.

I have some long broad leafed silk plants that spread out and form arches and "swim ways", and most who come in are mesmerized by them schooling.

If the tank is cycled, they are easy to keep. They are delicate fish and you may lose one or two from the first batch you purchase for absolutely no reason. If that does happen, just fill in the school as you go.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari
    I have 12 neons in a 10 gallon tank, and its perfect! Neons are cute, lively, and after a while feeding time becomes the Piranha tank! They are shy at first, but once accustomed to who brings the food, mine tend to come to the front of the tank if I come by.

I have some long broad leafed silk plants that spread out and form arches and "swim ways", and most who come in are mesmerized by them schooling.

If the tank is cycled, they are easy to keep. They are delicate fish and you may lose one or two from the first batch you purchase for absolutely no reason. If that does happen, just fill in the school as you go.
    Wow great responce. can I do cycling with fish with the 13 cent gold fish cause I no they produce a lot of amonia

Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    What? You shouldn't be sacrificing any fish to cycle it for you (just because you can't be bothered to do a fishless cycle). Someone please tell me I've misunderstood but that is completely irresponsible.