· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What about using used filter media from a filter from an established tank, and use amonia drops. ?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle17
    Wow great responce. can I do cycling with fish with the 13 cent gold fish cause I no they produce a lot of amonia
    Bad idea - sorry - you are better off adding pure ammonia to the tank (and reading our information on how to cycle without fish) and cycling without the goldfish.

Anyone on this forum will advise you to not do this - a tank should never be cycled with a fish unless you plan on keeping that fish in the tank.

Yes, they produce a lot of ammonia (and poop) and they grow way too large for a 10 gal anyway.

Edit: sorry - we cross posted - yes, ammonia drops will work - as long as you know how to do it and don't add too much ammonia to start off since it's a small tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle17
    What about using used filter media from a filter from an established tank, and use amonia drops. ?
    Now you have the right idea.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never done a "fishless cycle". I would not recommend using gold fish because they are just way to messy. I cycled my tank with about six tiger barbs and believe it or not I only lost one of them in the process. I would not call it "sacrificing" just maybe a different method. How do you even do a fishless cycle? chemicals?
    55 Gallon community tank that is probably a bit overstocked....dont judge me

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CONE_YAK
    I have never done a "fishless cycle". I would not recommend using gold fish because they are just way to messy. I cycled my tank with about six tiger barbs and believe it or not I only lost one of them in the process. I would not call it "sacrificing" just maybe a different method. How do you even do a fishless cycle? chemicals?
    If you lost a fish due to cycling a tank it was needless waste (a completely unnecessary loss). Please read this to learn about the fishless cycle. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

It is stress-free as you are not poisoning any fish and you have the added advantage of being able to stock the tank fully when the cycle completes. I'll never set-up a tank any other way again.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CONE_YAK
    +1 with above info/advice - Yes, cycling with fish is a "different" method, however, many people just stick any old fish in their tank to do it without caring whether the fish lives through it or not.

If someone is going to cycle with fish, they should do it responsibly - monitor their water parameters to keep ammonia low and get fish they intend to keep.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies