· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?

0 Not allowed!
    I have had 4 cory cat deaths in the past 48 hours. One was a large green cory cat that was in rough shape at the pet shop. Two were Julii Cory Cats that were very small and looked to have some redish gills from the pet store.

However, the last one was a peppered Cory and it lost its whole tail. I didnt think I got it from the store in that bad of shape, but I also dont think anything in my tank was capable of that level of destruction.

One more peppered Cory Cat is alive, but has some signs of damage. Is this fin rot? Would fin rot be able to consume a whole tail in a few days? What do you think this is? You can also see top half of tail is eroded.

Any clues would help?

I did dose the whole tank with Melafix. I used a little less than the recommended dosing and my whole house smells of peppermint and tea leaves. Seems a bt extreme.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    I dose look like some type of bacteria. I would suggest removing the infected fish to a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics

If you don't have a hospital tank, your going to have to dose your main tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Is that green stuff Cyano Algae? You need to get rid of that stuff. That is not an algae but a bacteria. I bet that's what's killing your corys. Not saying your corys are eating it but enough bacteria to grow Cyano is enough bacteria to cause problems with the corys.

Probably needs some Maracyn 2. Which will also wreck your cycle. You sure have had your share of problems with this tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like ornament paint to me Lady Hobbs. But look forward to OP reply on that.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, its just paint on the ornament, but I appeciate the observation and concern.

Yeah that tank has some issues, but a lot of it is due to me not being patient and following good guidlines.

I like to get fish for cheap from the local big box pet store, and if the fish are not looking 100%, I take them anyway with the knowledge that my tank is better for them than any fish store tank, and that I can return them if they die. So I take on some problems that can cause issues :)
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    If you are not quarantining your "pet store rescues", you are likely introducing all kinds of illnesses to your tank. Chances are, you are dealing with some multiple bacterial issues. I would try dosing tank with Maracyn 2, which is likely the best bet, and then refrain from any more purchases, especially from stores you know are introducing illness to your tank.

You can STILL gain fish from these stores, but know what you want, and ask the manager to "hold back" fish bagged for you directly from their shipment, that have not been dumped into their tanks. You have far less risk that way.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.