Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mean guppies!!

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a pic. (if I did it right)
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I listened to the people in the place I purchased the tank and a lot of what they told me is at least partially correct. I have learned from reading this forum, that my initial set up and cyle of the tank was not done right. That could be the reason I have lost fish and also why they are "mean" to each other. I need at least 3 more guppies and 3 more neons to make them feel more at home. I'm 3 weeks into this so hopefully the worst is behind me.

3. Default you have enough guppies and neons

0 Not allowed!
    Been breeding guppies for awhile... The male guppies are probably just trying to "get lucky". The males will harass all fish in order to reproduce. Platies look a lot like female guppies AND guppies and platies can interbreed (but normally don't).
    You have enough guppies and neons (unless you want more)... that's not the problem.
    Also male guppies will try to breed with ANY fish (doesn't work, but they will try). I had male guppies try to harrass (courted her for days) my female betta... poor little guys didn't get anywhere with her. LOL

Are you certain that the platies are both males?

Also, you said this is a new tank.... the fish are establishing a "pecking order" in case a female comes along... the dominant male will always get first chance to impress the female (both platies and guppies).

0 Not allowed!
    I disagree with the above poster -- 3 neons is not enough.

Guppies and Platys also aren't schooling fish, but they are social. You might have a little less fighting if you had 3 of each. 2 is kind of an awkward number for most fish as it means the less dominant one will be picked on -- easy mistake to make, and it's not life-threatening if you don't add anymore. I'm sure they will be fine in pairs.

The neons, though, ARE a schooling fish and really need a group 6+ to be happy and comfortable. 6 is considered the BARE minimum, 8-10+ is far better.

Don't add any more fish until you are cycled though... Have you got a test kit, and what are your parameters?

0 Not allowed!
    You don't have enough neons. They should be kept in proper sized schools of at least 10-15.

Guppies cannot breed with platies as far as I'm aware (although it's possible to get hybrids with mollies).

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=ameliaaahx]I disagree with the above poster -- 3 neons is not enough.

The neons, though, ARE a schooling fish and really need a group 6+ to be happy and comfortable. 6 is considered the BARE minimum, 8-10+ is far better.

[QUOTE]
    I presently have 3 neons in a 20 gallon tank with many breeding guppies... they only school when they are stressed (ie. I put my hand in tank or new fish added)... otherwise they don't swim together at all.

So from my experience, neon tetras are quite happy in small schools of 3 or 5.

0 Not allowed!
    I presently have 3 neons in a 20 gallon tank with many breeding guppies... they only school when they are stressed (ie. I put my hand in tank or new fish added)... otherwise they don't swim together at all.

So from my experience, neon tetras are quite happy in small schools of 3 or 5.
    I have to disagree with this as well. Just because a fish is swimming around...and not dying doesn't mean that it is "happy".

Have you ever had neons in a 10+ School?
    I have 14 right now in a species only tank. You might be surprised to see how differently they act when they are around more of their own species. Most schooling fish only school when they feel stressed but that doesn't change the fact that a proper school is ideally 10+.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry newtoshrimps, but I think you'll find most people on this forum will disagree with you about the neons. They live in schools numbering in the thousands in the wild, and I just don't think it's fair to keep just a few.

0 Not allowed!
    Your two threads have been merged together. Just ask a Mod to move a thread if posted in the wrong area or they will see it and move it anyway.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have added 3 more neons and 2 ghost shrimp since I posted this originally. I have learned a lot since starting my tank and have made MANY MANY mistakes. I'm still trying to get my tank cycled correctly. I have recently (inthe last day) found out the main thing I was doing wrong. I had read the thread from Lady Hobbs on cycling when I first started the tank, but it had not fully sunk in and until I read it again the other day, I was cleaning my substrate about 2 times a week. Anyway, I still have a long road ahead of me but I'll keep a good watch on my readings and my fish. BTW my guppies STILL won't leave the Platys alone but no harm is being done and I think they are making a game out of it now :) Thank you!!!