· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Grief...

0 Not allowed!
    Have you considered my earlier post about moving the fish into the bigger tank? Dealing with one uncycled tank at a time is far easier than two of them and the cycle will be completed faster with two filters running on a tank than one. The larger tank will also be less toxic.

I have no idea of what you mean about taking water from the surface. I guess you mean when doing a water change? Doesn't matter as the filter stirs it up.

Cycling threads in my signature.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-13-2012 at 08:35 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yep, I meant taking water from the surface during a water change. I'm a little concerned about moving the little fish over b/c they are pretty small compared to the fish in my larger tank...and I'm having some bullying issues in the larger tank already....not sure what would happen...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just the "surface" unless you're overfeeding your fish. I like Hobbs suggestion if you can do that, otherwise continue with your pwc and test - test - test.

Just a side note:
    With the information you have read and know, do you have an idea why you have higher ammonia levels since switching filters, and was there anything that could have been done to help prevent? Just asking to get you thinking.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    The only fish I see that should be a problem is the Odessa barb. I'd actually take him back to the store. Instead of getting a whole variety of fish, stick with the schooling fish you do have but get more of them. 1 Pepper cory? Corys are schooling fish and like to be with their own spieces of corys. Danio's are group fish, not 2. Cherry Barbs also like to be in groups with more females than males.

Odessa Barbs are schooling fish as well and he should be in a Barb tank with more of his own species. Barbs are aggressive and fin nippers and why they are generally overstocked to prevent that aggression.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/odessabarb.php

Don't go to the store and just get one of this and two of that, etc. Research your fish, see what kind is compatible with what you have and how they should be stocked.
    (Add no more fish now until the tank is cycled, tho.)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In the past, I've always liked to run two filters on each of my tanks to keep bacteria from dying if one filter breaks or needs to be cleaned. Same concept was applied to adding new filters to a tank. I wouldn't remove the original filter for at least 1-2 weeks after adding the new one.

Good luck with your current issue though.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally i wouldn't touch the gravel right now, the only thing that would be in the gravel is nitrates. Even though the majority of the BB will grow in the filter, some does grow in the tank as well. So i would advise against stirring up the gravel and/or moving things within until the cycling process is complete. In fact the just doing PWC as often as you can, even daily is the best thing you can do right now.
    Hobbs is right though, you should have done just the one tank to begin with or waited till either one was established before starting another one. Seeing as you are a beginner you seem to have made things tricky for yourself.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You need to know your ammonia level to know how much water to change - I would suggest keeping it under 0.25, so if your level is 0.5, a 50% change will bring it back to 0.25, if your level is 1.0, a 75% change will bring it back to 0.25 and so on. Good luck!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The reason that I have one cory in the 10 gallon is b/c I lost one and wanted to wait until my ammonia issue was settled before I got another. I have attempted putting more danios with my two, but they both died due to harassing....and the cherry barbs I have are all female.

I did do a good deal of research about what kind of fish would work together and how many to get of each. My friends actually made fun of the amount of research I did. I even kept a notebook of info that I would carry with me to every aquarium shop I visited. I promise you that I did not just go buy random fish. I went with what aquarium vetrans told me, the shop that I purchase my fish from (family owned and run for over 30 years) and forum suggestions. It seems as though everyone has really varying opinions on what works in a community tank...this gets extremely frustrating and confusing....

I appreciate the very helpful comments that were posted here from members who are giving me concrete ideas of what to do now....unfortunately I can't go back and "undo" anything....I did a 40% change in both tanks last night and did not feed them. Fish are still extremely active and happy looking...which is encouraging right now.

I believe that this ammonia issue stemmed from switching the filters and breaking the cycle (unfortunately I was led to believe that if I kept old bio material in the new filters it would be fine). Again...very frustrating getting mixed messages and conflicting info from people...as a beginner, how do you know who to listen to?

Right now, my main focus is moving forward, getting these levels down and keeping my morale up to avoid being discouraged from this hobby that I love! Thank you Dennis for giving met a concrete example of what to work on in the present :)

cg9: running 2 filters incase something goes wrong with one is a good idea! I'm not sure how I would do that with my tank...it's an odd shape and the entire hood would have to be removed....

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywish
    I promise you that I did not just go buy random fish. I went with what aquarium vetrans told me, the shop that I purchase my fish from (family owned and run for over 30 years) and forum suggestions. It seems as though everyone has really varying opinions on what works in a community tank...this gets extremely frustrating and confusing....

I believe that this ammonia issue stemmed from switching the filters and breaking the cycle (unfortunately I was led to believe that if I kept old bio material in the new filters it would be fine). Again...very frustrating getting mixed messages and conflicting info from people...as a beginner, how do you know who to listen to?
    Yes, it can be frustrating when you get conflicting info. The best part about this forum is that you are dealing with people who have many years of experience who are all volunteering and want to see you have a successful experience.

Generally, when someone is setting up a new filter, you will be advised to put cycled media into the new filter to "seed" the new media with bacteria - this process usually takes a number of weeks to be safe that enough bacteria have grown.

I have found that much information on the internet isn't very accurate or consistent. I have found forums to be a better source of reliable information, especially regarding compatibility. Pet stores are probably the worst place to get advice because most of them are in the business to sell fish & supplies - you won't be advised on cycling unless you ask and even then most employees aren't trained in this. Many stores will tell you that you can put way more fish into a particular tank than you should, then when they die, they happily sell you more.

I made several mistakes before finding this place but wasn't discouraged because you get a lot of support here.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks andreahp! I am keeping the faith :)