· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    300g (at least) 8 foot long tank with a sump is what you will need in less than 6 months.

That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion in my opinion. I agree the hex set up ain't ideal: but that's too far, comments like that often scare newbies, I can see that point if they had balas, clown loaches, another Pleco, Maybe an arowana.

Just my opinion.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed a standard 125G would be perfectly sufficient fir the fish mentioned with adequate filtration of course.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion in my opinion. I agree the hex set up ain't ideal: but that's too far, comments like that often scare newbies, I can see that point if they had balas, clown loaches, another Pleco, Maybe an arowana.

Just my opinion.
    So how much water volume does the following ADULT fish require that would only warrant 1 water change of 50% a week?

3 oscars
    1 JD
    1 pleco

That kind of stocking is NOT for a newbie. Even 1 oscar is not really for a newbie. A lot of newbies don't do more than 1 water change and don't test their water.

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of newbies don't do more than 1 water change and don't test their water.
    Then they should not keep fish at all of any kind. They need to be taught differently.

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a few things to try before you go to the extremes of taking out half the water and filling it with fresh.
    Tetra sells an inexpensive Algae control drops that work great,

You could add a couple of sucker fish they are great for cleaning everything in the tank ei plants, rocks, glass etc grow to about 4 inchs or more. BUT CAUSION IF YOU USE ANY ALGAE DROP IN THE TANK WITH THEM IN IT YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ALGAE TABLET TO FEED THEM THATS ALL THE EAT IS ALGAE,

TETRA sell water clear, conditioners and many more products to help your tank.

Make sure you clean the filter FREQUANTLY to get the tank nice and clear.

I hope this was helpful have a great day!

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and a couple of bubblers to move the water around and oxiginate the water.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Rocksor - I think you are jumping to conclusions by tarring all 'new fishkeepers' as un educated and lazy with maintenance. For some it may be they have done a lot of research and are just new To owning the fish, i personally know of a few newbies and all do a great job of weekly and monthly maintenance, all of them do 75% water changes.

Either way assuming that then handing out advice of a 300g plus a 70g+ sump ain't a good way to help advise them.

Just my opinion though
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    Replies in blue:

Quote Originally Posted by lilwiseowl
    Here is a few things to try before you go to the extremes of taking out half the water and filling it with fresh. Please detail how this is extreme. Many experienced fish keepers here [Myself included] typically 40 - 50% or even larger WC on a weekly basis. It is a fundamental part of our maintenance routine.
    Tetra sells an inexpensive Algae control drops that work great, There are solutions other than chemichals.

You could add a couple of sucker fish they are great for cleaning everything in the tank ei plants, rocks, glass etc grow to about 4 inchs or more. BUT CAUSION IF YOU USE ANY ALGAE DROP IN THE TANK WITH THEM IN IT YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ALGAE TABLET TO FEED THEM THATS ALL THE EAT IS ALGAE, The last thing this tank needs is more stock IMO.

TETRA sell water clear, conditioners and many more products to help your tank. See chemical comment above.

Make sure you clean the filter FREQUANTLY to get the tank nice and clear.
    IMO without further details to the OP this comment will not help them and has the potential to be VERY counterproductive, It borders on trolling IMO. If you are this uninformed please do some research, Your fish will appreciate it.
    I hope this was helpful have a great day!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i'll plead the case for scottishfish on being that newb.
    when i started-i jumped half in...but the basis of my knowledge was that fish need fresh water, so I did every other day water changes until i researched, found this forum and startedto ask questions.

in fact, i was more picky on how clean my tank was as a newb than I am now.lol

just my 0.02

I know your idea was the hit home that the fish need a much bigger space, so I agree to drive that point home on tank size + filtration... so its not that I disagree, but to that extent i do.
    plus pretty much what MCHRKiller has to say on big fish and big tanks isthe spoken word

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can do it with a 125 but you'll need a good Vacuum, one or more water changes a week, and great filtration. Oscars are truely the kewlest fish they are not fish in many ways they are very smart and interact in a way that allot of fish never will. And they are beautiful. On the other side (around 14") it's like a six month old baby in a high chair with a tray of food in front of him. Clean,Clean,Clean almost everyday once they are grown it will need something to be done. And if you have the money a larger tank would be better. Thats the hard thing with many large fish the Oscar is near the top. You need to spend $$$$ to house a fish that cost $20.00. If you can do all that they are like a dog they will give you many hours of enjoyment.