· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Dirty Oscar Tank Help!

0 Not allowed!
    I just set up a 100 gallon hexagonal tank a few months ago. I have 3 tiny oscars and a jack dempsey. Maybe about 3 inches in length each. So far they don't seem to be trying to kill each other. Also have a giant pleco (about 10 inches)

The pleco is not doing his job! I have one little live plant at the very bottom and I thought the roots were just growing like crazy! Took a closer look and nope it's fish poop. Just sitting there covering a solid half of the tank bottom. Ick!

Can I put another type of fish in there to help get rid of this? Petsmart mentioned a cat fish when I was first setting up the tank but I'm skeptical it wouldn't get eaten.

Maybe something to move the water around to help the filter catch it?

The pleco seems to love the piece of wood that I put in there so I think he's not hungry enough to keep the tank clean anymore.

What should I do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

0 Not allowed!
    Pleco's are not in the tank to eat poop. They are there to eat algae. They are poop machines themselves. It's your job to keep the tank clean. You will not be able to keep 3 Oscars, a pleco and a Jack in your tank. That's too many heavy-hitters.

NO fish eat poop. That's what gravel vac's are for.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOL Thanks... I'm going to pretend I'm not co much of a beginner moron...

I bet the pleco is the cause for all the poop! Do they really eat the wood? He's spent the past solid month sucking on that thing. Maybe I should take it out...

That's funny since the petsmart people were trying to get me to add even more fish to the tank! I told them no since I knew these guys were going to grow large. Think they will be ok for a year? What size tank should I upgrade to?

Thanks for your super quick help!

*runsofftoebaytofindagravelvac*

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    55g of water volume per oscar
    40g of water volume for 1 jd
    75g of water volume for 1 pleco

300g (at least) 8 foot long tank with a sump is what you will need in less than 6 months.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hats off to LadyHobbs for the concise explanation! :) I'm so glad you came here to a forum instead of just listening to the pet shop sales person! See below for why...

Also, plecos don't eat the wood--- it's probably grazing the wood because there are things growing on it that he can eat.

Pet stores like the one you go to will often try to sell you more than you need, or more than what your equipment can handle. They're there to make sales. It's always good to consult a book or a forum :) before purchasing anything, where there are no ulterior motives to sell you unnecessary stuff.

I just had to say it again: Fish don't eat poop. :)

Best of luck!! Hope this helps.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I loved my Oscars when I had them but they are dirty dirty fish. They not only poop a lot they are messy eaters and what falls out of their mouth does not get picked up again off the bottom like some fish do. I can't even imagine how you could keep a tank with that combination of fish clean.
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    300g (at least) 8 foot long tank with a sump is what you will need in less than 6 months.

That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion in my opinion. I agree the hex set up ain't ideal: but that's too far, comments like that often scare newbies, I can see that point if they had balas, clown loaches, another Pleco, Maybe an arowana.

Just my opinion.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed a standard 125G would be perfectly sufficient fir the fish mentioned with adequate filtration of course.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion in my opinion. I agree the hex set up ain't ideal: but that's too far, comments like that often scare newbies, I can see that point if they had balas, clown loaches, another Pleco, Maybe an arowana.

Just my opinion.
    So how much water volume does the following ADULT fish require that would only warrant 1 water change of 50% a week?

3 oscars
    1 JD
    1 pleco

That kind of stocking is NOT for a newbie. Even 1 oscar is not really for a newbie. A lot of newbies don't do more than 1 water change and don't test their water.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can do it with a 125 but you'll need a good Vacuum, one or more water changes a week, and great filtration. Oscars are truely the kewlest fish they are not fish in many ways they are very smart and interact in a way that allot of fish never will. And they are beautiful. On the other side (around 14") it's like a six month old baby in a high chair with a tray of food in front of him. Clean,Clean,Clean almost everyday once they are grown it will need something to be done. And if you have the money a larger tank would be better. Thats the hard thing with many large fish the Oscar is near the top. You need to spend $$$$ to house a fish that cost $20.00. If you can do all that they are like a dog they will give you many hours of enjoyment.