· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Northerly, thanks for actually looking at the pictures. I kinda hoped somebody would respond to my posts here and to my crappy pics. But perhaps I am right - nobody cares. 'Cept you!

Anyway, I will be using ammonia for the cycle. I did it on the 55. Glad you like the way the 55 looks...I'm quite proud of it. It is lush with plants and I have a nice mini-ecosystem going. Even the algae has its place.

If I have it my way, this little tank is gonna be beautiful. Nothing fake, all real plants, all designed carefully, with one (I really really really hope)healthy happy female betta. My daughter (the 5 year old) has preemptively named her Sunshine.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Your big Tank looks good! How are those otto's doing?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck! And if that 10 gallon is up to par with the 55, it'll be damn impressive. Keep up the progress:)
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Steeler, the otos are doing fine. Here's a pic of a fat belly.

Here is a few more gratuitous photos, hopefully better ones, of the larger tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Beth
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OMG I LOVE THOSE...they're awesome

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Shidohari, yes, they're wonderful. I was surprised that I only lost one in the acclimation process which died after a week in the tank. The six that remain are healthy and fat. They LOVE cucumber. My daughter named them all Otto. Creative, I know.

Update on the 10gal - I ordered a sponge filter on ebay yesterday. Boy it was cheap. I am also looking to buy a LED strip from ebay, but the seller needs to tell me the wattage per light first. I'm not looking for fancy, but I don't want it to be useless either.

I am really debating throwing out the anubias and moss balls from the 5gal, although these are such nice plants. I am just worried about bacteria transfer. RIght now they are sitting in a bowl of water on my kitchen counter, in plant limbo. They can't be disinfected, can they? Driftwood is now in the tank, as well as the heater. It's coming along.
    Beth

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's what you can use:
    Alum USP Available at drug stores. This kills bacteria and snail eggs. 10 teaspoons to a gallon of water. Soak the plants for up to three days.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh. I just found Old Girl, the nine year old (freak of nature) australian rainbow, dead. I'm so sad. I think age finally caught up to her, the tough broad.

Her obit is in the rainbow section.
    Beth

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's an update on the 10gal.

It's pretty much set up now...anubias is tied on the driftwood, other plants are in, both filters are running (that sponge filter is kind of huge). I think I'm going to dose it with ammonia and start the cycle today. Hope it goes well. It needs a few more background plants, but there is time for that.

Also, as far as stocking goes, one betta girl in this tank is going to look empty and very boring. I am hoping she will tolerate some tiny tankmates, such as frogs (although keeping frogs intimidates me) or perhaps a small school of neons, if such a thing is humane. I do want it to be a little interesting.

Here's some pics! Sorry they are full of glare...I don't know why I keep trying to take pics when the sun is blasting in the fish room. The first pic is the overall view of the thing. Second is my less-than-awesome light setup...two LED fixtures (one new marineland one and the one that came with the 5gal). The third is my attempt to hide the sponge filter, which is hard to do at this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bethyMT; 11-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    Beth

10. Default Mini-update

0 Not allowed!
    This is just a little text update. The plans have changed a little. They change a lot with me. The 10gal is now sitting on my kitchen counter...I figured that a single betta would need some entertainment, and he's sure to find it in my family! We're always doing something in the kitchen, or the TV room, which adjoining (no wall).

This tank is definitely going to house a half-giant (or King) betta when it's done cycling. I checked them out at petco today, and I just love them. One will fill out this tank nicely. They are expensive, but I don't care.

I'll take some pictures of the tank in it's new spot tomorrow...it's dark now and I think the flash will reflect badly. It is loaded with plants, and looks kinda messy right now, but it'll get better. Always something to fuss with.
    Beth